Error 3210 trying to P2V a windows 2000 SP4 machine using SCVMM 2008 R2

When trying to virtualise a Windows 2000 SP4 server I get the following error:

Error (3210)

Boot and\or System volume \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2 was not selected or is not found on source machine <machinename>.

Recommended Action:

Selected machine <machinename> cannot be virtualized. Verify that the boot and system volumes are selected for migration. Then try the operation again.

However, I only have 1 partition on the first harddisk.

I have checked the boot.ini file, which only points to partition 1

I have checked HKLM\system\setup SystemPartition key, which is set to \Device\HarddiskVolume1 so that should be correct.

Edit: I have checked with diskpart, there is only 1 partition on the disk.

There are however 2 disks, and the boot volume is labeled by diskpart as volume3

I have another server I tried to virtualize, but I get the same error.

Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong here?

July 24th, 2011 1:50pm

Hi

Please check this thread

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/virtualmachinemgrp2vv2v/thread/a9e14e6f-105a-4832-92fc-a4e1babc7fe4/

It sounds like VMM is unable to locate the system/boot partition on this particular source machine.  VMM pulls this information from the CIMV2 class in WMI.  If this information is incorrect, maybe still pointing towards the EISA partition, then this failure is the expected result.

Try checking the following registry key, and make sure that it points to the correct system/boot partition:

HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\SystemPartition

Also You must give drivers for network card and disk drives in the wizzard (step: Conversion Information), so then the WinPE will recognize your disk drives.

I hope this helps!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 25th, 2011 8:49pm

Hello M Fawzi,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my question.

I've checked HKLM\system\setup SystemPartition key, which is set to \Device\HarddiskVolume1, so as far as I can see that should be correct.

I didn't see the option to add drivers during the Conversion Information step. Must have missed that one.

I managed to convert the machine by first migrating it to windows 2003.

October 3rd, 2011 10:33am

Please check here, it works for me. (The document has been written for Windows 2003 but it works for Windows 2000 also.)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942986

Julthep N.

November 1st, 2012 8:15am

No need to migrate to Windows 2003 first, just fix the boot record as states in this document: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942986

Julthep N.

November 1st, 2012 8:20am

Same issue in VMM 2012 SP1 , when migrating a Window 2008 R2 system

just give a disk lable to boot volume before scanning client system information , it works.

January 13th, 2014 10:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics