Error 0x80090016 on Scheduled Tasks, Server 2003R2
To save everyone's time, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246183didn't help.Server is 2003R2 (SP1) x32. It is the only DC in our Disaster Recovery Domain.When I try to create a new scheduled task, or edit any existing task, I get the following popup:Title: Task Scheduler Message: General page inialisation failed.The specific error is:0x80090016: Keyset does not existAn error has occurred attempting to retrieve task account information. You may continue editing the task object, but you will be unable to change the task account information. Event logs hold nothing useful. There seem to be a lot of people hitting this problem, but not too many solutions. Any suggestions?
April 8th, 2009 5:28am

Hi, I understand that you have tried the suggestions provided in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246183. However, I suggest trying them again since they are the most useful way to troubleshoot this issue. In addition, please make sure that Protected Storage and Task Scheduler services are started and set their startup type as Automatic. Then go to the following registry key locations on a working machine and export the keys. Task Scheduler: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Schedule Protected Storage: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ProtectedStorage Then delete the above keys on your problematic computer. After that, please import the exported keys to the problematic computer by double clicking the .reg files. Note: you can backup these keys before deleting them. If the issue persists, you may check your group policies that are being applied to the computer. The issue could be caused by a group policy. Look at GPResult.txt in the MPSReports to see if the computer is receiving security settings from the domain. If so, you may set the user password for a Scheduled Task and automatically grants that user the Logon as a batch job and Logon as a service rights, which can enable the user to execute the scheduled job. Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 8th, 2009 7:32am

Hi Tim,As an ex-MSFT lad, I appreciate your help. Is there any further diagnostic I can turn on while I'm doing this? I'd like to try and gather everything in one shot if I can.Cheers,
April 8th, 2009 8:05am

Hi ex-MSFT lad, Thank you for your reply. These are almost all useful things I could find in our knowledge base articles (including KB, SO and SR) regarding this issue. In addition, I have uploaded an task scheduler troubleshooting guide to our FTP site for your reference. You can download it form https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=8a607a40-f20e-4c53-8541-d29a9244ea01. Password: j8C6]B5]@3Zhkr[ Tim Quan - MSFT
April 8th, 2009 10:30am

It looks like the problem is bigger than I expected.I've got an awful lot of group policy errors (1030's and 1058's)that I need to work through. I suspect that when I can get these resolved, either the scheduler problem will be gone, or the solution will be a little more clear.Thanks, I may be back yet :)
April 9th, 2009 4:06am

Please do get back .... sounds very interesting !!!This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
October 3rd, 2009 5:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics