Error (2901) The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)

Environment:

VMWare vCenter 5.5,  SCVMM 2012R2 Update Rollup 7

VM VMDK file is 21.4GB, Provision Size 120GB

Situation: When running the conversion utility from within SCVMM to convert a powered off VMWare VM, i keep getting the error:

Error (2901)
The operation did not complete successfully because of a parameter or call sequence that is not valid.
The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)

Recommended Action
Ensure that the parameters are valid, and then try the operation again.

Conversion fails with the above error.

I have seen posts mentioning use of MVMMC 3.0 tool but that defeats the purpose of SCVMM.

Any suggestions of what could be causing the conversion failure.

thanks,

ICT Farmer

September 11th, 2015 2:06am

Hi Sir,

First , please ensure that ESX host is showing "OK Status" not "OK (Limited) Status" :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/scvmm/archive/2009/01/05/enabling-full-management-of-vmware-with-scvmm.aspx

"

Before you begin, there are several things you need to be aware of concerning V2V conversions:

• VMM does not support converting VMware virtual machines with virtual hard disks that are connected to an integrated drive electronics (IDE) bus.

• Online V2V conversions are not supported. This means VMware virtual machines must be offline (powered off).

• You must stop any antivirus applications that are running.

• You must uninstall VMware Tools on the guest operating system of the virtual machine. For information about VMWare Tools

"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg610672.aspx

During the V2V wizard ,please try to use a local drive to store the VM .

In addition , please refer to the marked answer as a workaround  in the following thread :

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/8a500b67-3334-45d5-b8de-83bf05c5bf80/vmm-2012-vmware-41-to-hyperv-2012

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 13th, 2015 10:16pm

Hi Elton,

Thank for your reply and the details.

The issue seems to be with VMs having large VMDK files. (tested with a 120GB thick provisioned VM) . Cloning VMs such as Exchange and File servers is not an option due to large volume size and free capacity on existing storage attached to VMWare environment.

I am interested in getting a response from Microsoft on their solution or recommendation.

Kind regards,

ICT Farmer

September 13th, 2015 11:38pm

Hi Sir,

>>The issue seems to be with VMs having large VMDK files. (tested with a 120GB thick provisioned VM) .In your case , you mentioned "VM VMDK file is 21.4GB, Provision Size 120GB" it is a 'dynamic' virtual disk , right ?

If it is possible , I would suggest you to shutdown that EXSi VM and copy virtual hard disk to library folder then perform V2V again .

It is mentioned in that similar thread .

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 14th, 2015 1:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics