Error: 5123 CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 5A(Access denied.)

HI ,

This is a problem I encountered when I had to detach a database file (type .mdf):

1) I went to the MS SQL Management Server Studi and detached my database file successfully from a connection called Workhorse.

2) I needed to place the .mdf database file into a zip file in order to put it on a remote server. I did this using Shared Portal. This was also successful

3) However when I tried reattaching the database file, I got this error:

CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 5A(Access denied.) while attempting to open or create the physical file "C\Program Files\MSSQL Server\MSSQL\Data\<databasename>.mdf'

Q) The database file and log file (ldf) exist in the correct directory so I don't know what happened. Can any one help?

Thanks much

Tonante

March 22nd, 2006 1:19am

Dear Tonate,

Please, take a look on the following link and might be it will help you :)

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=120536&SiteId=1

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 28th, 2006 12:16pm

Hi Tonate,

I got the solution for this. I proud this is my first blog to provide the answer on internet

I got the same error too:

CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 5A(Access denied.) while attempting to open or create the physical file "C\Program Files\MSSQL Server\MSSQL\Data\<databasename>.mdf'

the solution is:

set the Operating system permission on that .mdf file to full permission to 'Everyone' in new server.

this will helps me to attach the database in other server..

Have a Great Day..

vino...

September 4th, 2007 3:07pm

Well that could be a security issue, its better to give permission to the SQL Server account.
September 4th, 2007 5:41pm

I had same issue on Vista machine. I run "SQL Server Express Management Studio" as "Run as administrator" and it worked. Smile
December 4th, 2008 3:39am

Thank you Amit....
It would have been a DISASTER had I not attached de database.
Manes
January 20th, 2009 1:44pm

I had same issue on Vista machine. I run "SQL Server Express Management Studio" as "Run as administrator" and it worked. Smile

I was running an Enterprise SQL Server on Win 2008 and 'Run as Administrator' fixed the error I was getting.
September 1st, 2009 8:57pm

Hi guys,

I had the same problem with a database that a customer mailed me.
When I tried to Attach it to my server, I got the "Error: 5123 CREATE FILE" error.

After reading this post, I got the security settings from another database file, and Ifounded that an account called "SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$"Username"$MASSQLSERVER" had full access to the database files.

After giving the new database file the same security settings, it error was no more ;-)

Best regards
AtomicDog
September 3rd, 2009 12:43pm

Thanks, this was helpful to me.

Cheers,
Kiran
http://cherupally.blogspot.com/
October 20th, 2009 12:37pm

HI ,

This is a problem I encountered when I had to detach a database file (type .mdf):

1) I went to the MS SQL Management Server Studi and detached my database file successfully from a connection called Workhorse.

2) I needed to place the .mdf database file into a zip file in order to put it on a remote server. I did this using Shared Portal.  This was also successful

3) However when I tried reattaching the database file, I got this error:

Q) The database file and log file (ldf) exist in the correct directory so I don't know what happened. Can any one help?

Thanks much

Tonante

I had the same problem,

I was using ASP.net web application and was openning the same instance from database out there.

The problem was solved when I closed the ASP.net and retry attaching the file from Microsoft SQL Server
  • Proposed as answer by aydin secer Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:09 AM
February 4th, 2010 11:13am

Go to the xx.mdf and xx_log.ldf files where database is located and give Everyone user to full access right for these files

this is exact solution.

March 31st, 2010 11:12am

I agree with the solution provided by Aydin Secer. Close Visual Studio and try re-attaching. This is the one you have to try first to make sure that no other process is blocking the mdf file. Then you check the permissions and if you are using Vista, try running MSSQL Server Management Studio as Administrator.
  • Proposed as answer by kjshaju Friday, May 14, 2010 12:32 PM
May 14th, 2010 12:30pm

How to set Operating system permission,because that file cannot be opened??
August 11th, 2010 1:14pm

Right-Click on the SQL Server icon and select run as administrator.

October 12th, 2010 3:04pm

I have the same issue and I followed everything you said in this forum, I change the permission to every both mdf and ldf file. Aside from that I also run the MS SQL as administrator but the problem still persist .. anyone  has other solution?

Thanks,

October 27th, 2010 7:44am

SQL Server has, for many years, been picky about the commands you issue when attaching database files.  Problems can arise when you want to attach multiple copies of essentially the same database, say for test and comparison purposes.

Specifically SQL Server is not 100% perfect at guessing what you intend to do, especially if you say detach a database file and then attempt to attach another database file which once had the same name as the one you just detached.  SQL Server will likely attempt to re-attach the first one.  This is because the original file names are embedded within the mdf.  If you look closely and expand the exact file location, you can enter the correct file name manually as part of the attach process.

What I have found happens is the reason an mdf will not open is because it is already open in SQL Server, and you need to check to see the exact one you have attached, you might (in error) have the wrong mdf associated with the database name, it is terribly easy to get the names swapped around.  Check the database properties to see the exact name of the mdf and ldf files.  A clue is that you can't rename the mdf in the Explorer.  If so, almost certainly it will be SQL Server that is holding the file open (what else have you got that will open an mdf?).

HTHs

October 28th, 2010 4:57pm

Hi Guys,
This is my first post. After working around and googling for this 5123 error I came to this solution may be this helps. It rectified all 5123 related problems like attach, detach, create files in SQL Server 2005. I tried it on SQL Server 2005 on win xp sp3. It is an alternative and good approach for fixing this problem rather than using Windows authentication. Windows authentication solves the problem but that is not desired because SQL login is the preferred way of login to SQL Server. These are the steps.
  1. Exit from SQL Server 2005\close Management Studio(all instances).
  2. Right-click the drive in which SQL Server is installed usually C: or the drive where your .mdf and .ldf files are saved. For example, C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data the default location of the default databases.
  3. Right-click C: and click Properties.
  4. In the Properties dialog box, select the Security tab. (If security tab is not visible, as usual, then first remove the use simple sharing option, see below for steps).
  5. In the Select Group or User Names box view that your SQL login is listed or not. For example, if you use Myserver\sa as the SQL server authentication mode then Myserve\sa should be listed in this box. If it is not then add the name.
  6. Click the Add button. Enter the name you used to login to SQL Server for example sa.
  7. Click Check Names to verify that the name you are specifying does exists as SQL Server user. If it is not, click Advanced in the Select Group or User Names box.
  8. Click the Locations button and select your SQL Server name. Click Find Now. All users of the SQL Server are listed in the box.
  9. Select the user, preferably your SQL Server authentication account. Click OK.
  10. In the Group or User Names box, select the user name you selected in the above step and give full control permission to the user. Click OK.
You are all set to attach, detach, databases by using the SQL Server authentication. Open Management Studio and perform attach or detach there would be no problem.
Viewing the security tab:
  1. Open My Computer.
  2. Click Tools and select View tab.
  3. In the Advanced Settings box, scroll down to bottom and clear the checkbox named Use simple file sharing (recommended).
  4. Click OK
You will be able to view Security tab everywhere.
November 11th, 2010 7:50pm

Hi Tonate,

I got the solution for this. I proud this is my first blog to provide the answer on internet

the solution is:

set the Operating system permission on that .mdf file to full permission to 'Everyone'  in new server.

Have a Great Day..

vino...

Thanks Vino. :)

November 17th, 2010 6:01am

VINO,

YEAH!!! This fixed my issue and saved me about 12 hours of rebuilding!!!! Thanks!

December 7th, 2010 7:13pm

You could also run into the errors if that .mdf file was being used by another application:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

------------------------------

Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 32(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105) while attempting to open or create the physical file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA\ds10-cat.mdf'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5123)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.1600&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=5123&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

March 8th, 2011 8:33pm

- Give necessary permissons (modify, write etc.) to user who you are using to create DB with.

- Make sure Sqlserver Windows service log on type is Local System or someone else who have necessary rights on SQL Folders.

It is not secure to give strong permissions to "EveryOne" . And it is not needed
March 23rd, 2011 8:04pm

Windows authentication trick worked for me.  which is ok to start work :)

Thanks to all.

May 12th, 2011 9:36am

turned off User Acces Control, UAC, eg. 

Start>Run>type MSCONFIG,

under Tools Tab, find the option to Change or Disabe UAC.  Done

I rebooted then attach db worked! 

Struggled with this on a Server 2008 box with SQL 2008 R2.  My story was i had SQL Instance with wrong collation so had to reinstall (used to be called rebuildm, (Microsoft, if you're listening, STOP changing names of things please!) and then re-attach the 81 dbs!  After changing the collation trying to reattach the db's i got this error.   Definitely a permissions thing, going on here, nothing worked until i turned off User acces control, UAC, eg. 

Start>Run>type MSCONFIG,

under Tools Tab, find the option to Change or Disabe UAC.  Done

I rebooted then attach db worked! 

Suppose you could then enable UAC after to keep server safe....

• Proposed as answer by Leelondon Monday, May 19, 2014 2:42 PM
  • Edited by Leelondon Monday, May 19, 2014 2:44 PM
May 19th, 2011 10:34am

i read your solution .....but after click on add button in security tab when i m trying to type my sql server login name (ADMIN\SQLEXPRESS) it is saying """An object named "ADMIN\SQLEXPRESS" cannot be found. Check the selected object types and location for accuracy and ensure that you typed the object name correctly, or remove this object from the selection.""" how to overcome from this problem thanks in advance
November 3rd, 2011 9:04am

Hi Tonate,

Thanks for the solution, its really works.

Hema Mestha

January 18th, 2012 5:55am

Hi Tonate,

the solution is:

set the Operating system permission on that .mdf file to full permission to 'Everyone'  in new server.

Have a Great Day..

vino...

I had almost the exact same error - created a database in SQL 2008 Express and moved it to a SQL 2008 R2 Standard database. This solution worked for me. Thanks Vino.

All the best

Dave

January 26th, 2012 12:39pm

Thanks a lot Tonante!

• Edited by alexcalm Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:34 AM
March 20th, 2012 11:34am

the solution is:

Have a Great Day..

vino...

Thanks Vi

July 10th, 2012 5:54pm

Thanks for the useful hints on this thread, but you shouldn't need to set permission for EVERYONE. Instead, figure out which system account your SQL Instance is running as, using SQL Server Configuration Manager, and looking in the Log On As column.

Give this account permissions and you should be good to go. It worked for me.

September 26th, 2012 2:53pm

I ran into this same problem today and in order to make the attach process work, I needed to give myself full permissions to the .mdf and .ldf files. Giving permissions to the folder root level of where these files reside did not work for my case. This is on 2005.  Hope this helps someone! :)
September 28th, 2012 2:57am

Rather then giving permissions to EVERYONE, try running the Management Studio as Administrator.
May 7th, 2013 6:59pm

How ?
June 10th, 2013 1:10am

any solution else? (Hurry)

June 10th, 2013 1:13am

but I did do it in Administrator!

so what 's Going on ?

June 10th, 2013 1:14am

Hi Tonate,

the solution is:

Thanks - You saved my day! Google is my friend and you to!

November 1st, 2013 10:05am

I had faced this Problem Also to reattach DB to same Server After De_attach it

Just do this

Copy mdf file and log file to a new folder with any name "ensure that Everyone has permission (Full control on it)"

then you can Attach it.

May 15th, 2014 6:40pm

Hi jgardner04,

Thank you. It worked for me.

October 10th, 2014 10:00am

I had this error, running Management studio as administrator didn't solve. Then, when I looked at the NTFS security tab of the detached database, the NTFS security was all removed.

Here is what I did;

Take the onwership of the files, both mdf and ldf files. 

Give Full Controls to following 3;

SYSTEM

Administrators

servername\SQLServerMSSQLUser$... (looks like some sql service account)

Then, run Management Studio as administrator, I was able to attach the db. 

December 5th, 2014 7:56pm

Hi 

I try it and worked 

1. change owner permission files of mdf and ldf  

2. run Sql Server Management Studio with run as Administrator

3. Attach... 

March 22nd, 2015 2:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics