Erroneous error: Unable to update the password.  The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain.
I am unable to use Ctrl+Alt+Del, Change password to change my user password whilst logged onto a Win 7 Pro machine with a Domain Admins account, authenticating on a Windows Serer 2008 domain controller using network logon (PPTP VPN). The forest and domain functional levels are both 2003. When I submit the form, I am presented with the error "Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain." The know the error is erronous for two reasons: I have checked the account security polices and the password I tried to use meets all the criteria. It is 18 characters long, uses all 4 character types (upper case, lower case, numbers, non-alphanum), does not contain two consecutive letters from my username and has not been used before. I am able to use my chosen password by logging onto the DC and resetting the account password using the AD Users and Computers snap-in. Does anyone know what would cause me to experience this problem on the client PC?
May 23rd, 2011 10:39am

Can you try to set the password from command line using net user username password /domain tp verify that you can set itWith kind regards Krystian Zieja http://www.projectnenvision.com Follow me on twitter My Blog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 23rd, 2011 10:49am

Hi, Please check the "Use default gateway on remote network" check box according to the following article. Then connect the VPN connection and check if the problems continues. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb878117.aspx If so, please test if you can use the same method to change domain admin password on another computer use the same new password. Also run rsop.msc to check if the password policy has been applied. Regards, Bruce This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
May 24th, 2011 1:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics