Erratic localhost ping
On a win 2008 r2, freshly installed, i have an erratic ping behavior, even on localhost ping (ipv4 or ipv6).sometimes i get "request timed out", sometimes i get long reply values (4seconds).Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Request timed out.Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128the server is a dedicated DPM server (with sql on another computer), has a intel pro/1000 pt server nic, intel motherboard, all with the newest drivers.how do i diagnose this?what's wrong?
November 30th, 2009 2:00pm

Hi Catalin,Thanks for the post.I am wondering if this issue always occurs on Windows Server 2008 R2. What's the system performance when trying to ping 127.0.0.1?Based on my personal experience, this issue will occur if the system performance is not quite well while pinging 127.0.0.1In this case, we may try to check if this issue occurs in Safe Mode with Networking.Thanks,Miles
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 1st, 2009 10:44am

Hi Miles,Could it be relatedto be related to Data Protection Manager? That is the only installed services on that machine, and if i disable all dpm serivces on startup (using msconfig) the ping replies are coming constantly at <1ms for a while.If i start the DPM service the replies stop, and i get chaotic replies. the funni thing is that i sometimes get 1 reply at <1ms but only after a few loooong seconds.right now i have the dpm serivces disabled and the ping replies are coming constantly for a while. at one point they just stop, and replyes are comming really late, but with <1ms response time.The server apparently is not consuming any resources (cpu, disk or network), i can remote on the server, i disabled all protocols & services on the nic except ipv4, file and print sharing and client for ms networks. i've allready tried to change the nic, the drivers, resintalled the operating system. i also get this kinda messages in event viewer: The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> is taking long time to handle the notification event (CreateSession).
December 2nd, 2009 10:49am

Hi,Yes, this issue may be related to Data Protection Manager.At this point, please post a new thread to our Data Protection Manager Newsgroup for further assistance.http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanagerThank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 2nd, 2009 1:25pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics