Enterprise Search working but search boxes in sites not working
I just configured SP 2013 Search. The enterprise search is retunrning results but people search is not working. Also when going to each site collection and searching for the content in _layouts/15/osssearchresults.aspx returns 0 result. Can't both enterprise search and local search work together? If yes why is it not working? If not how to make _layouts/15/osssearchresults.aspx  work? Also why people search is not working at all. Any inputs will be ap
April 16th, 2013 7:01pm

Hi Sachin,

please check your content source. The default content source ideally includes SharePoint sites and people. incase if you have created the  search app before creating the user profile service app, then you may not have that in the content source.  You should see an address starting with sps3://..

From each site collection while searching for the content you can redirect to the enterprise search by providing the search results in the site settings-search settings option.

Regards  Roy Joyson
Please remember to mark your question as "answered"/"Vote helpful" if this solves/helps your pr

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 16th, 2013 7:19pm

Thanks for the reply. Here are some details

Account running Search has Retrive user information permission in User Profile Service

SPS:// shows up in the local sharepoint source
But Error shows up Access is denied. Verify that either the Default Content Access Account has access to this repository, or add a crawl rule to crawl this repository. If the repository being crawled is a SharePoint repository, verify that the account you are using has "Full Read" permissions on the SharePoint Web Application being crawled. ( HttpStatusCode Unauthorized The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. )

Also _layouts/15/osssearchresults.aspx search work for one web application but not for rest of others. I have configured enterprise search but typing search twice will irritate the users so wanted to display results in site collection.

This is migration from SP2010 to 2013 for Proof of concept. So we have only one service account working with all the Service Application except for User Profile (Obvious)

April 16th, 2013 7:39pm

I am getting below error for all sites where _layouts/15/osssearchresults.aspx is not working. 

Access is denied. Verify that either the Default Content Access Account has access to this repository, or add a crawl rule to crawl this repository. If the repository being crawled is a SharePoint repository, verify that the account you are using has "Full Read" permissions on the SharePoint Web Application being crawled. ( HttpStatusCode Unauthorized The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. ) 

April 16th, 2013 8:07pm

>>_layouts/15/osssearchresults.aspx search work for one web application but not for rest of others. I have configured enterprise search but typing search twice will irritate the users so wanted to display results in site collection

Do you have a search center url configured in Search Service Application administration, or in site collection search settings, or in site search settings? If you have search center url configured, user won't have to enter the keyword again. If the first search was for "This site", the resulting osssearchresult.aspx page will have a link to search everything with search result page in search center.

April 17th, 2013 9:13am

My screenshot does not have search center url configured in site and site collection level, but i think it must have been set at search service application level which i don't have permission to see(its from Office 365 environment that host my mysite personal site in MSFT)

April 17th, 2013 9:16am

for 401 error, is it in your crawl log? Please check the loopbackcheck issue on SharePoint server.
April 17th, 2013 9:19am

It started working once i made local account spsearch and gave all the permissions in database that service account has and applied it manually to each web application user policy with full read permission. Strange but worked for me...
April 18th, 2013 6:41pm

>>made local account spsearch

What does this mean?

>>applied it manually to each web application user policy with full read permission

This is need for the content access account. but i don't think you need "give all the permissions in database"

April 19th, 2013 5:46am

created an account with servername\spsearch and gave that account all permissions of service account for search and added those to web application user policy with full read
April 19th, 2013 10:37pm

>>created an account with servername\spsearch

You should create a active directory domain account instead of computer local account.

April 22nd, 2013 4:55am

The problem I am having is related to the second question, not using /_layouts/15/osssearchresults.aspx as search but re-direct to Enterprise Search. 

I have the Enterprise Search site setup, and it's working fine. The only issue is that using the search bar in the main org site as the first step, without selecting any search qualifiers available in that drop-down menu, still defaults to /_layouts/15/osssearchresults.aspx. However, if using the drop-down on the same search bar to first select any of the values there, say 'Everything,' then the search re-directs correctly to the search site. 

I edited the Search Setting in the Site Collection Administration, entering the Search Center URL (which enabled re-direction with any of the org site drop-down menu items as explained above), and then tried selecting the 'Turn on the drop-down menu inside the search box, and use the first Search Navigation node as the destination results page.' button, but with no luck. 

So there is only one small step missing: if one doesn't first select a search drop-down filter, search doesn't work. How do I eliminate the /_layouts/15/osssearchresults.aspx completely? I don't want to have the users remember this 'feature of having to first select say 'Everything' in the search bar, and then enter the searched terms.

Thanks

July 15th, 2013 6:32pm

in site settings->search settings, if you uncheck the "use the same result page settings as my parent", and select "send queries to a custom results page URL", and fill in the result page url in your search center, you won't be redirected to osssearchresults.aspx any more.
July 17th, 2013 3:48am

Yes, this works, thanks, but I had to append the results.aspx suffix to the search URL/Pages/ as instructed on the page - that does make a difference. Also, I had to do this in all site collections.

One configuration where this still doesn't work is everything under <...>/my/personal/ URL. SharePoint 2013 creates a site collection for each MySite user as they first login under /my/personal/ for blog and such. The interesting thing is that I cannot edit the 'Send queries to a custom results page' area; unchecking the 'Use the same results as my parent does not bring alive the button below - somehow like I am not the site collection administrator, which I am.

Also, an inconvenient fact here appears to be that it a farm admin/sys admin cannot set this for all site collections - users are going to have to be instructed to edit their /my/ site collections for themselves. 

Radu

July 17th, 2013 4:12pm

>>The interesting thing is that I cannot edit the 'Send queries to a custom results page' area; unchecking the 'Use the same results as my parent does not bring alive the button below - somehow like I am not the site collection administrator, which I am

I can reproduce what you describe in a personal content site. but if i go to the search setting for the site, uncheck the option, i can select the radio button below. Now, i go back to the site collection search setting, i can uncheck the option and select the radio button. I don't even have to click OK in the site search setting. Seems its a small bug in user interface. The sharepoint version i tested is 15.0.4505.1005

>>Also, an inconvenient fact here appears to be that it a farm admin/sys admin cannot set this for all site collections
There is a Global Search Center URL setting in search application administration page in CA.
July 17th, 2013 11:16pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics