Enabling RemoteFX using Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 3 as Host and Guest OS

I am running Server 2016 Technical Preview (v3) and I'm having trouble getting RemoteFX working in a Server 2016 Preview (v3) guest VM.  My understanding from the various blogs I've read is that OpenGL and OpenCL support are currently only available when running both the Server and Client w/t Server 2016 (the case I'm trying to test). 

I have Server 2016 Preview (v3) with a Windows 10 Enterprise Guest VM working properly with RemoteFX, but there is no OpenCL or OpenGL support and I understand that is as expected. 

On the same host I created both a Server 2016 Preview (v3) Gen 1 and Gen 2 VM with RemoteFX enabled.  In both instances the display adapter in the device manager comes up as unknown on the guest VM.  I saw this same behavior when trying other OS's that were not compatible with this build of Server 2016.  I've tried connecting both the server itself and the guest VM's to the internet to pull the latest updates, however that has not resolved any issues.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the RemoteFX adapter several times, also not working.  I'm confident in the server hardware and configuration because it works properly with my Win10 Enterprise, but I wanted to specifically test the OpenGL and OpenCL capabilities which is only supported with a Server 2016 Guest.

I have attempted this on three separate servers with the same results each time, ensuring each time I follow the step-by-step guide found at: 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/31771.experience-guide-for-enabling-opengl-support-for-vgpu-in-server-2016.aspx

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Dan

August 24th, 2015 11:00pm

Hi Dan,

I'm forwarding this case to internal group. If there is any information I got I'll reply back. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 25th, 2015 7:25am

I certainly appreciate it.  I have a relatively small cluster of vitalization servers (5), four with Nvidia Grid K1 card (1 each) all currently running 2012R2 and managed with VMM.  We use the servers to assist software developers, where two of our main user interface applications use OpenGL acceleration.  Basically we have a number of clouds representing various SIL configurations.  The current SW rendering of the graphics gets us by, but hardware acceleration would go a long way in the user experience and bug testing.  Basically those apps have to be tested on hardware benches, which are far more expensive to maintain and time consuming to setup in configuration control. 

I'm trying to do preliminary testing now with 2016 on a test bench to see the feasibility of upgrading in the near future our production equipment if it can provide the desired functionality (OpenGL acceleration in virtual clients). 

Hopefully that provides a little more insight in the use case I'm exploring. 

August 26th, 2015 1:25am

Same here. Please can you post the solution when ready?

Thanks.

David.

August 26th, 2015 11:39am

Hello,

I'm Chris Huybregts, the program manager who wrote the referenced article.  First, thank you for raising the issue. The team is actively looking at the problem and I'll update this thread when we have a solution.

Chris

August 27th, 2015 8:30pm

I wanted to update the thread, the team has identified the issue and we're working to roll out the fix.  Unfortunately we're unable to share when that fix will be publicly available at this time as we're still going through our release process. 

Chris Huybregts

September 2nd, 2015 8:07pm

Thanks Chris for the reply.  I'll check back periodically but I'm assuming the fix will probably roll into the next public release?

September 2nd, 2015 8:33pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics