Enable Remote Desktop Connections with PowerShell
What is the easiest way to enable remote desktop connections on Windows 7, with powershell?
October 17th, 2012 9:39pm

depends. do you want to enable them remotely or is this a script that will be run locally on each system?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 17th, 2012 10:25pm

It will run locally on each machine. It will be part of a larger script that will be run on all newly deployed systems.
October 17th, 2012 10:27pm

Use Shay Levy's "Remote Registry PowerShell Module", and modify the value of the "fDenyTSConnection" value in the key "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server" on the remote box to "0"

The Windows 7 box will need to be rebooted before it will take effect.

See http://oreilly.com/windows/archive/server-hacks-remote-desktop.html

Or, grab Michal Gajda's script "Enable-RDP.ps1" in the gallery :)

Karl

October 17th, 2012 10:33pm

Sorry Karl, but I am kind of a PowerShell newb. Both of those solutions are for remotely changing the setting, and I don't know how to use them locally
October 17th, 2012 10:51pm

in powershell:

PS C:\> dir 'HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server'
    Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server
SKC  VC Name                           Property
---  -- ----                           --------
  3   0 AddIns                         {}
  0   1 AuthorizedApplications         {(default)}
  0  27 DefaultUserConfiguration       {Callback, CallbackNumber, Domain, InitialProgram...}
  0   8 Dos                            {KbdIdleBusymsAllowed, KbdIdleDetectAbsolute, KbdIdleDetectProbationCount, Kb...
  0   1 InputDevices                   {(default)}
  2   0 KeyboardType Mapping           {}
  0   0 Licensing Core                 {}
  0  21 SysProcs                       {csrss.exe, smss.exe, screg.exe, lsass.exe...}
  3   0 Utilities                      {}
  2   0 VIDEO                          {}
  1   0 Wds                            {}
  2   2 WinStations                    {DefaultSecurity, ConsoleSecurity}
PS C:\>

No "fDenyTSConnection" value, but I'm using XP here.
October 18th, 2012 12:48am

Al;

I'm curious - open your registry editor and look - I have the value in Win8, and yet I also do not see the value in PowerShell.

Karl

October 18th, 2012 1:10am

I managed to get it by changing that registry key. It wasn't listed in PowerShell, but I still managed to change it from there
October 20th, 2012 10:29pm

FWIW, the reason it doesn't show up with "dir" is because dir is get-childitem, and that's not a child item of that key, but instead a "property" of the key itself.  The registry provider in PowerShell maps registry keys to items and registry values to properties.

If you use 

Get-ItemProperty 'HKLM:SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server'

then you will see it listed

February 4th, 2013 10:21pm

I never like modifying the registry unless that is the only way to do it.  Here are a couple of commands that I use all the time to enable RDC.

#  Enable Remote Desktop
(Get-WmiObject Win32_TerminalServiceSetting -Namespace root\cimv2\TerminalServices).SetAllowTsConnections(1,1) | Out-Null
(Get-WmiObject -Class "Win32_TSGeneralSetting" -Namespace root\cimv2\TerminalServices -Filter "TerminalName='RDP-tcp'").SetUserAuthenticationRequired(0) | Out-Null
This is for running locally, but you can also add a -computername to the gwmi to set it on a remote machine.  Obviously, then you would need to have RPC enabled.
February 4th, 2013 11:58pm

Tim, those Get-WmiObject lines work nicely, except for me on Server 2012 it doesn't enable the secure connection.
Or do I perhaps have to set the 0 to 1 in SetUserAuthenticationRequired?

July 18th, 2013 5:00am

another way out would be 

Set-ItemProperty 'HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server' -Name fDenyTSConnections -Value 1

July 18th, 2013 7:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics