Enable Active Directory Users And Computers.
Hi! I installed windows server 2008 R2 on my vmware workstation. And when i go on administrative tools i can't find Active Directory Users & Computers. Is there any way to install it. Thank you!
September 15th, 2011 9:45pm

Did you install the admin tools? - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=7887 Or you can run dsa.msc command. Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+| Houston, TX Blogs - http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties,and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 15th, 2011 10:05pm

So on this Windows 2008 R2 server, if the tools are not installed, this system is not a Domain Controller. For all other systems (member servers, workstations), you need to install the appropriate admin tools. As Santhosh recommended, to manage AD from a 2008 R2 member server, you need to install RSAT. For other operating systems, install the correct set of tools. For example, on a Windows XP system, you would install Adminpak.msi, found on a Windows Server 2003 CD.Visit anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
September 15th, 2011 10:26pm

Hi, It seems like the Windows Server 2008 is not a Domain Controller. It means that you didn't install Active Directory on it. If you want it be a member server and also enable it to see Active Directory Users and Computers, please install RSAT on it. Best Regards, Yan LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 16th, 2011 5:03am

I downdloaded this RSAT with service pack 1 , but when i runned it, i got this message : The update is not applicabile to your computer.So i can't install it.
September 17th, 2011 9:21pm

Hello Alendrex, As I mentoend in my previous posting, you need to install the appropriate tool based on the operating system you want those tools to run from. I should have been more specific but I was not sure what operating system you wnat to run these tools from. So I am going to assume based on your last response that you are trying to enable these tools on the member server running 2008 R2. If that is the case, you do not need to download anything. The tools are already installed, but just need to be enabled. go to the control panel --> programs and features --> Turn on/off features link --> Add feature --> Remote Server Admin Tools --> Enable checkbox for each tool you want to have available. I assume that you downloaded the version for either Vista or Windows 7. Those do packages are not isntalled on the server OS. Visit anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
September 17th, 2011 10:38pm

Hi JM, First of all thank you for answering.I did as you said to me and now i got the active directory users and computers on my admin tools. but i got only one directory under it called Saved Query. Do you know where i can add users?
September 19th, 2011 6:26pm

You need to login with domain administrators account. Check this article. Thanks
September 19th, 2011 7:57pm

I always log with domain administrators account.
September 19th, 2011 8:56pm

Can you share the screen shot using skydrive. Thanks
September 19th, 2011 9:44pm

Sorry , i don't have this program.Is there any other way?
September 19th, 2011 9:52pm

You can use insert / Edit image tool button. Refere this link. Thanks
September 19th, 2011 10:29pm

From Start menu click on All Programs then goto Administrative tools and select Active Directory Administrative Center click on the domain name eg. contoso.com and select the OU where you want to create the user then go task pane click New and select Users. Check this link. Thanks
September 20th, 2011 3:16am

Hello Alendrex, Did your problem resolved. I have seen other post. Follow up same post rather than opening new post for same problem. Thanks
September 26th, 2011 1:55pm

Unfortunately not yet but i'm working on it. I think the link you send me ( the youtube video )was right. But after installing Active Directory i didn't see any add users botton on Active Directoru Service Center. But i'm trying to solve this problem.Thank you.
September 28th, 2011 5:53pm

You can also use Active Directory Uses and Computes to add users. Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+| Houston, TX Blogs - http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties,and confers no rights.
September 28th, 2011 6:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics