Elevating usefulness of Vista gadgets
I'm posting this on a Windows Server 2008 forum since someone has deleted my profile on the Vista forums and I can't create a new profile either.Vista gadgets are a great idea. I particularly like the Weather Gadget, the Currency Gadget, the Stocks Gadget, etc. They could be made better by enhancing their functionality so that the aforementioned gadgets, for example, kept a record of the data they retrieve off all those feeds. I have no access to these feeds, so I can't do this.But the point is that with the current IPv4 generation Internet architected in this haphazard manner, there could be islands of users out there on the Internet that are totally isolated from the rest of the Internet. Imagine someone hacking into your ISP and pointing your DNS servers to theirs so that you get a completely different name resolution algorithm. If all the hosts on the Internet - including all backbone IP routers - would be upgraded to IPv6 you wouldn't be subjected to this kind of person-in-the-middle attacks.But I digress. Here's how Vista gadgets can be enhanced. Like I've mentioned, those gadgets can keep a record of the data they retrieve off all those feeds, and Microsoft must in addition provide an XML Web Service - preferably through WCF, since not all Vista editions have IIS - that runs on Vista and exposes this data so that they can be cross-referenced. So, a user running Vista must be able to point their PC to another PC - a friend's - and validate the data that his/her gadgets have captured with the datathat this friend's gadgets would have captured. It would be interesting to see what would be revealed by cross-referencing data from two PCs that are located in the same city.For this to work, the Windows client OS must be enhanced with the capability to accept way more than ten connections - the current limit. And in addition, SQL Server Express must be packaged with the OS, or something like it.
October 13th, 2008 2:19am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics