Elastic Database Geo-Replication

Hi,

I am trying out Azure to host a load of customer databases. They aren't huge and don't have large amounts of traffic.

I am considering using an Elastic Pool to keep costs down and would seem to suit our needs. The Elastic Pools seem to be in preview at the moment. Everything I read says you can use Geo-Replication on a database and move it in and out of a pool and replication will continue.

I have a few queries

1. I can't seem to move some geo-replicated databases in to the pool but when I stop the geo-replication it goes in to the pool.

2. Geo-Replicating a database in the pool seems to be a feature that is not available.

3. Why does what I read about geo-replication and Elastic Pools contradict what I seem to be able to accomplish in the Azure Portal.

Any help, guidance would be greatly appreciated.

September 10th, 2015 8:20pm

Hi MigManJohn,

You are correct, this capability is temporarily blocked in Portal. It will be unblocked shortly. In the meantime you can use pshell cmdlets to move databases that already have geo-replication enabled, to the pool. This article provides good information on how to manage elastic pools with pshell.

I hope this help but please let me know if you have questions.

Sasha

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 11th, 2015 4:49am

Hi MigManJohn,

You are correct, this capability is temporarily blocked in Portal. It will be unblocked shortly. In the meantime you can use pshell cmdlets to move databases that already have geo-replication enabled, to the pool. This article provides good information on how to manage elastic pools with pshell.

Sasha

September 11th, 2015 4:50am

Hi MigManJohn,

Sasha

September 11th, 2015 8:48am

Hi MigManJohn,

Sasha

Hi MigManJohn,

Sasha

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics