EffectiveUserName Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Hi

I am trying to connect Sharepoint 2013 services (performancepoint , excel services) to SSAS 2012 using the EffectiveUserName.

I was getting a error message regarding conencting the datasource and when checking profiler it was saying Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

On the SSAS server i tried using EffectiveUserName in the additional Connection Parameters and it failed for the above reason. I also tried my username as well as the sharepoint service account

the sharepoint service account and my username are both server admins.

When I try using the EffectiveUserName in the additional Connection Parameters on another server I can connect with no problems.

What seems to be the different with server where I am getting the error message?

Regards

January 26th, 2015 12:09pm

Hi aivoryuk,

According to your description, you get the "unknown user name or bad password" error when using EffectiveUserName in Connection parameter to connect Analysis Services. Right?

In this scenario, if you use a connection string to create the data connection, and the connection string contains an effective user field, the EffectiveUserName feature will override the user-supplied effective user value with the system-supplied value. On this server, you may use a domain user to run the SSAS. So it will show the "unknown user name or bad password." However, on the other server, it may use system build-in account to run SSAS. Please refer to link below to check the steps for using Analysis Services EffectiveUserName in SharePoint Server 2013:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219741(v=office.15).aspx

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 27th, 2015 7:53am

Hi aivoryuk,

According to your description, you get the "unknown user name or bad password" error when using EffectiveUserName in Connection parameter to connect Analysis Services. Right?

In this scenario, if you use a connection string to create the data connection, and the connection string contains an effective user field, the EffectiveUserName feature will override the user-supplied effective user value with the system-supplied value. On this server, you may use a domain user to run the SSAS. So it will show the "unknown user name or bad password." However, on the other server, it may use system build-in account to run SSAS. Please refer to link below to check the steps for using Analysis Services EffectiveUserName in SharePoint Server 2013:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219741(v=office.15).aspx

If you have any question, please feel free t

January 28th, 2015 9:52am

Hi aivoryuk,

I am working on troubleshooting an issue that sounds pretty identical to the one you describe, were you able to find any resolution, and if so, could you post it here?

Thanks!

August 12th, 2015 2:15pm

Hi aivoryuk,

I am working on troubleshooting an issue that sounds pretty identical to the one you describe, were you able to find any resolution, and if so, could you post it here?

Thanks!

Hi

Unfortunately I didn't, but we ended it up configuring Kerberos which isn't that difficult but you just have to get all the steps correct.

Regards

August 12th, 2015 2:32pm

The only thing you should need to get the effective username working is for the performance point service account to be a SSAS server admin.

Try running SQL Profiler while connecting to a PerformancePoint dashboard. It should capture the error in the trace that is displayed on the front end. Scan back up the trace looking for either the Session Initialize or Existing Session events for the session that the error was thrown on - in the text data field you should see a "*". If you don't see this you need to add the NTUser for that event to the SSAS Admins using SSMS. (right click on the server, go to properties, the security)

August 12th, 2015 5:09pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics