EFS remote encryption feature missing
Hello, I'm trying to use EFS to encrypt files that users access on a remote file server. I want to protect the data from being accessed by an administrator. The data should not travel over the network unencrypted. There was supposed to be a new feature in Server 2008 that enables me to securely transfer encrypted data over the network without using a workaround like WebDAV or IPSEC. I believe the technology was implemented as part of SMBv2, which is shared by Vista and Server 2008. If I may quote Brian Komars Book (Server 2008 PKI and Certificate Security, MSPress): 2008 changes the behavior for remote EFS encryption. [] The files are now transmitted as encrypted data to the remote file server. Unfortunately I got a feedback from the product group that this feature is not implemented. Has anyone stumbled over this? Confused,Karl
August 13th, 2008 12:54pm

Hi Karl,I understand your concern. We will forward this requirement and feedback to our product group. Currently, as you mentioned, we still suggest that you configure IPSEC or WebDAV to workaround it. Thank you for your understanding.Laura Zhang - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2008 6:44am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics