EFS on Standalone Workstations with Network Share
Hi, i have a question for someone who has 3 workstations and wishes to have EFS but doesnt necessarily want to purchase a server or have full blown PKI just yet. I have a few questions from below: Say for example there is a shared drive, and two users, 'user A' and 'user B'. User A saves and encrypts a file on the shared drive. User B then tried to access and open User A's encrypted file... My questions are: I guess in the above scenario when User B initially tried to open this file they will be unable as they do not have the certificate of User A, is this correct? Would it be possible for User A to export their certificate (including Private Key), and for User B to import it, would the User B then be able to open the shared file? Finally, is EFS encryption done on a per workstation basis or would this need to be done for each user? Many thanks in advance, Chris
August 16th, 2010 7:12pm

Hi, I guess in the above scenario when User B initially tried to open this file they will be unable as they do not have the certificate of User A, is this correct? >> Yes. Would it be possible for User A to export their certificate (including Private Key), and for User B to import it, would the User B then be able to open the shared file? >> You can refer to the following KB. Best practices for the Encrypting File System http://support.microsoft.com/?KBID=223316 Finally, is EFS encryption done on a per workstation basis or would this need to be done for each user? >> I think you answered the question in your first question. If user A encrypted the folder Folder_A, user B will not be able to open it and vice versa. By the way, you can refer to the following link. The Encrypting File System http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700811.aspx Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 17th, 2010 9:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics