Dynamic Columns Based on Parameters

I am trying to use SSRS to allow users to select any one or several columns from a set of cascading parameters which will then do a "data dump" of the contents of the selected columns for "export".

I know how to do cascading parameters, but I am having problems coming up with a way of using the parameters to dynamically build a matrix which has as its columns the list selected in the parameters.

NOTE:  I need the user to choose WHICH columns will be displayed.  There could be 1, 2, 3, up to 50 columns.

Any suggestions?

August 21st, 2015 8:32am

Hi GKFKey,

Please check the below link and this is what you are looking for :)

http://sql-bi-dev.blogspot.in/2010/10/displaying-dynamic-columns-in-ssrs.html

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 8:45am

This is tricky.

Here's one way:

Add a dataset to your report to drive the parameter. Use this query, replacing with your table name:

SELECT c.name
  FROM sys.columns c
    INNER JOIN sys.tables t
      ON c.object_id = t.object_id
      AND t.name = 'myTableName'

Now, create a parameter called @Columns. Set its available values to name from that dataset. Allow multiple values.

Now, create another data set using this query, again replacing myTableName with yours.

DECLARE @sColumns NVARCHAR(MAX)

DECLARE @holder TABLE (colName SYSNAME, seq INT)
INSERT INTO @holder
SELECT value, ID
  FROM dbo.splitterMkII(@Columns,',')

;WITH rCTE AS (
SELECT CAST('CAST('+colName+' AS NVARCHAR) AS '+colName AS NVARCHAR(MAX)) AS colName, seq
  FROM @holder
 WHERE seq = 1
UNION ALL
SELECT a.colName + ', CAST('+r.colName+' AS NVARCHAR) AS '+r.colName, r.seq
  FROM rCTE a
    INNER JOIN @holder r
	  ON a.seq + 1 = r.seq
)

SELECT @sColumns = colName
  FROM rCTE
 WHERE seq = (SELECT MAX(seq) FROM rCTE)

DECLARE @dSQL NVARCHAR(MAX)
SET @dSQL = 'SELECT x,y, row FROM (SELECT '+@sColumns+', ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY (SELECT 1)) AS row FROM myTableName) c UNPIVOT ( x for y IN ('+@Columns+') ) p'

EXEC sp_executeSQL @dSQL

This will do the hard work for you. You're parameter is inserted into it, and processed to set up for a matrix.

Create a matrix in the report. Put row in the left column, y in the header row, and x in the values.

Run and enjoy.

August 21st, 2015 11:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics