Duplicate instance starts in Task Scheduler of Windows 2008 Server
Hi all, There are duplicate instance starting in Task Scheduler of Windows 2008 Server. The incident repeats every 60 minutes. The task simply triggers a VBS file to get disk size. The task has been recreated several times but the same problem still exists. Please help. Regards, Wilson
June 10th, 2010 6:43am

Please paste the Task Scheduler details here. Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 10th, 2010 10:04pm

Hi Wilson, In order to clarify the issue, please answer the questions below: 1. What do you mean by duplicate instance in Task Scheduler? Does the system generates two tasks when you only create one task which triggers the VBS file to get the disk size? 2. Is there any error message generated? Please post the exact error message here for further investigation. 3. Does it happen only to one specific task or all the tasks? Please make sure you select “Do not start a new instance” if the task is already running. Regards, Karen Ji This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. On July 1st we will be making this forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum. Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com.
June 11th, 2010 9:00am

Hi Karen and Santhosh, Please note my answer. 1. The system generates 2 tasks every 60 minutes. 2. I have prepared the Task Scheduler screen dumps but there is no way to attach it here. Please let me know your email address so that I can email screen dumpt to you. Thanks. 3. It happens to all tasks in different serers. Regards, Wilson
June 15th, 2010 6:43am

hi , If i am not wrong your server is creating 2 identical tasks for every 60 minutes ?? ,or is this happening everytime you create a new task scheduler ? a) try to delete the task and recreate it at different time b) is your job getting exectued twice ? or is that its just an instance which is getting created ? dumps would prove helpful, can you hook process explorer when there are two tasks created and navigate to stack of both the PID , in your scenario there shoud be 2 PID getting generated.
June 15th, 2010 7:38am

Hi Sainath, Please note my response: 2 identical tasks created every 60 minutes for new task and recreated task The job is getting executed twice at the same time Regards, Wilson
June 15th, 2010 10:12am

Hi Karen and Santhosh, Please note my answer. 1. The system generates 2 tasks every 60 minutes. 2. I have prepared the Task Scheduler screen dumps but there is no way to attach it here. Please let me know your email address so that I can email screen dumpt to you. Thanks. 3. It happens to all tasks in different serers. Regards, Wilson Hi Wilson, Please upload the screen dumps to skydrive and provide us with the link. http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive Additionally, please also find the relative error events in event viewer and post it here for further troubleshooting. Regards, Karen JiThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 15th, 2010 11:45am

Hi Karen, Please follow the link below for screen dump: https://cid-420813e9fdcaa590.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=420813E9FDCAA590!111&Bpub=SDX.Docs&Bsrc=GetSharingLink&authkey=LmdCJSnzkl8%24 Regards, Wilson
June 15th, 2010 1:26pm

Hi Wilson, Thanks for the update! This could happen if there are multiple trigger for the task. Could you please provide us with the detailed informtion about this task? What's the trigger? What's the action? What's the condition? Regards, Karen JiThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 17th, 2010 12:09pm

Hi Karen, Please follow the link below to view the task details. https://cid-420813e9fdcaa590.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=420813E9FDCAA590!111&Bpub=SDX.Docs&Bsrc=GetSharingLink&authkey=LmdCJSnzkl8%24 Regards, Wilson
June 22nd, 2010 5:41am

Hi Wilson, Thank you for the update! I don’t see anything wrong with the settings of the task scheduled. At this point, I suspect that there’s some corrupt file in the system which caused the issue. Please try to run sfc /scannow command in an elevated command prompt, restart the system and recreate the task and see whether it happens again. If that won’t fix the issue, you may also try to perform a startup repair with the installation media. To do this, please follow the steps below. 1) Insert the installation disc. 2) Restart the computer from CD/DVD. 3) Set your language preference, and then click Next. 4) Click Repair your computer. 5) In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 6) In the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair to start the repair process. 7) When the repair process is complete, click Finish. If none of the methods above would work, I’m afraid the last option is to perform an in-place upgrade if the server is not a DC. To perform an in-place upgrade of Windows Server 2008, follow these steps: Insert the Windows Server 2008 installation CD/DVD, then double click to run the Setup from CD/DVD. Choose the language and click Install Now. Accept the License Agreement and Choose Upgrade. Select the same edition of Windows Server 2008 that is installed on server. (Please make sure you have enough space in your System drive.) Hope it helps. Regards, Karen JiThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 22nd, 2010 6:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics