Duplicate disk in iSCSI initiator
Hello, I am trying to connect a iscsi disk on a Windows 2008 R2 Core. I have made the disk on the storage system. When I start the iscsicpl and add the target portal on the discover tab. Then go to the targets tab, select the discovered target. Hit connect + Ok on the opened window. I notice that I have for some unknown reason two disks: Disk -1 with address Port 3: Bus 0: Target 0: LUN 0 Disk 1 with address Port 3: Bus 0: Target 0: LUN 100 Why is that disk -1 with LUN0 there? I only provisioned 1 disk with LUN 100 on my storage system. When I configure the disk 1 with diskpart and assign it a driveletter; the disk -1 has the same drive letter as disk 1. Only when I click it, it is have no path assigned, while disk 1 with LUN100 has. Thanks for your help!
August 9th, 2010 5:17pm

Anyone? All the examples that I checked don't mention anything about a disk - 1. It is a bit strange...
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 10th, 2010 9:21am

Are you using Multipath I/O ?
August 10th, 2010 3:45pm

My final solution will use multipath, currently I just try to get basic iSCSI enabled, because I had strange behavior with multipath. I have two servers with each 2 network ports dedicated to iSCSI. These ports are connected to 2 different switches. My storage system is a HP MSA2312i, which has two controllers, each having two ports. Port 1 of controller A and Port 1 of controller B are connected to switch 1. Port 2 of controller A and Port 2 of controller B are connected to the second switch. Basic network connectivity between these hosts is working fine. Initial configuration has been done: start iscsi service, make it start up at reboot, enable firewall, ... Currently I use the IP of controller A / Port 1 as discovery portal on the first server. When I see the disk appearing in discovered targets, I hit connect, select iSCSI initiator in the local adaptor dropdown box, the source IP the first NIC in the server in the second and the IP of controller A / Port 1 in the third (portal). The disk becomes connected at that moment. But when I then click devices I see two disks appearing, while only one was provisioned. See above. This is my first issue. Why it this disk there? In my labo-setup I can't remember having this behavior. When I now install multipath software, set the mpclaim -r -i -d "MSFT2005iSCSIBusType_0x9", reboot... I first add my other discovery portal IPs on the discovery tab, this are basically all IPs of the controllers (4 in total). I select the correct NIC (based on the switch they are connected to). Then I select the connected target, hit connect. Select "use Multipath" and add the other connections for that same disk (4 in total). Now; in the device tab, the disk appears 8 times, 4 times as "disk 1" and 4 times as "disk -1". When I select one of them and click Multipath, I see 4 paths. But they are set a round robin by default, while one of them is standby and 3 are active. Why? No idea. Ofcourse when I hit ok, it gives an errors. When I then try to set it as "Failover", with one active and 3 standby, it continues to give errors. This was the reason why I want to do it without the multipath. I uninstalled it, removed all settings and started over again, one discovery portal, one disk. Stil I have duplicated disks. Note: I am on Windows 2008 R2 server core datacenter edtion. All updates installed. I would like to try to "uninstall" iscsi initiator, but is this possible? The registry is completly empty for the iscsi container after a clean up.
August 10th, 2010 4:49pm

Hello, I have done an firmware upgrade of the storage system. And I noticed that even when I remove ALL provisioned disks, go through the procedure with assigned a portal, connection the disk, I still get a disk -1 with LUN 0... the disk has target name: iqn.1986-03.com.hp:storage.msa2312i.0915d7f911 When I do a diskpart I only get the physical disk in the server: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 136 GB 0 B Where is this disk - 1 then coming from? Or what does it mean???
August 11th, 2010 3:12pm

I have also done it once with the command line, but the result is the same. When I open iscsicpl after this procedure I see a disk -1 when I click the devices button on the targets tab of the iscsi initiator properties. No disc has been mapped or configured on the storage system, it is empty. C:\Users\administrator>iscsicli QAddTargetPortal 10.1.20.1 Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Version 6.1 Build 7600 The operation completed successfully. C:\Users\administrator>iscsicli ListTargets Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Version 6.1 Build 7600 Targets List: iqn.1986-03.com.hp:storage.msa2312i.0915d7f911 The operation completed successfully. C:\Users\administrator>iscsicli QloginTarget iqn.1986-03.com.hp:storage.msa2312i.0915d7f911 Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Version 6.1 Build 7600 Session Id is 0xfffffa8007b6f018-0x400001370000000c Connection Id is 0xfffffa8007b6f018-0xb The operation completed successfully. C:\Users\administrator>iscsicli PersistentLoginTarget iqn.1986-03.com.hp:storage.msa2312i.0915d7f911 T * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 0 Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Version 6.1 Build 7600 The operation completed successfully. C:\Users\administrator>iscsicli ListPersistentTargets Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Version 6.1 Build 7600 Total of 1 peristent targets Target Name : iqn.1986-03.com.hp:storage.msa2312i.0915d7f911 Address and Socket : 10.1.20.1 3260 Session Type : Data Initiator Name : Root\ISCSIPRT\0000_0 Port Number : <Any Port> Security Flags : 0x0 Version : 0 Information Specified: 0x20 Login Flags : 0x8 Username : The operation completed successfully. C:\Users\administrator>iscsicli ReportTargetMappings Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Version 6.1 Build 7600 Total of 1 mappings returned Session Id : fffffa8007b6f018-400001370000000c Target Name : iqn.1986-03.com.hp:storage.msa2312i.0915d7f911 Initiator : Root\ISCSIPRT\0000_0 Initiator Scsi Device : \\.\Scsi3: Initiator Bus : 0 Initiator Target Id : 0 Target Lun: 0x0 <--> OS Lun: 0x0 The operation completed successfully. C:\Users\administrator>
August 11th, 2010 4:37pm

Hi, Please try to use the following software to create a target for the computer to see whether you get the same issue. StarWind iSCSI Target http://www.starwindsoftware.com/ NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
August 12th, 2010 3:31am

Hi, I am on server core, will this work on server core?
August 12th, 2010 4:02am

Hi, I don’t know whether StarWind iSCSI Target can be installed on a core installation of Windows Server 2008 R2, you may check it with StarWind. By the way, if you want to perform the test, you need another computer to install StarWind iSCSI Target, then you can start StarWind iSCSI Target on this computer and then connect your Windows 2008 R2 Core to the target. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
August 15th, 2010 10:39pm

I also got a problem with disk with "-1" disk name. Any news about this problem ?
October 28th, 2010 8:35am

Hello Cbollhard, Are you using HP storage? In that case it is normal. This disk -1 with LUN 0 is the communication channel for the controller. You can ignore it. This information is confirmed by HP support and Microsoft. Hope this helps. Wim
November 8th, 2010 6:24am

You need to install MPIO so each connection doesn't show another disk.
June 7th, 2012 10:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics