Duplicate IP / Windows 2003 DNS

We've got a couple of funny issues here so I would appreciate a pointers in the right direction...

3 DNS servers on the network (2003 Domain) and quite a lot of dumlicate IP entries.
1. Scavanging is not enabled on the DNS - so I guess it can greatly contribute to duplicate DNS entries by keeping the stale entries. (Am I right about it?)
2. Some times when I ping some ip addresses with -a switch DNS server returns the names that even dasn't exist on the network. (No idea why it happens)

Is there any checklist of thigns I should check on the DNS to make sure it works properly? (besides n\making sure DNS points to itself)
Any recomendations as to what should I do to rectify the issue?

Thank you.
Elijah

March 12th, 2010 12:08am

1) Yes, you should enable scavanging of DNS records.
2) The -a option uses the Reverse lookup zone and the PTR record to do the ip to DNS name translation.  You need to scavenge these zones as well.

Scavenging is enabled both on at the server and on each zone.  You should enable scavenging on all 3 DNS servers and all DNS zones.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755716(WS.10).aspx
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 12th, 2010 4:16am

Hello,

in addition to aging/scavenging you can use the DHCP server also:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc787034(WS.10).aspx

See also this article:
http://blogs.technet.com/networking/archive/2008/03/19/don-t-be-afraid-of-dns-scavenging-just-be-patient.aspx
March 12th, 2010 9:38am

Thank, took me some time to dig through it and I'm still reading related articles.
I'm trying also to get an answer to the question "why did it start happening int he first place?" There is quie a lot of duplicate entries and enabling scavanging (I hope) can resolve the issue, but I still have no answer to the quesrtion as to why is it happening.
Documentation I've red so far mentiones that stale records can be created when computer is not properly disconnected from the network, but according to the number of duplicate records it is hard to beleive.
Do you know what are might have casued duplicate IP records? (they seem to appear and disappear sporadically)

(AD 2003 DHCP interated with DNS)

Thanks.
Elijah.
March 15th, 2010 7:13pm

They didn't just appear, they have always been there....you are just now noticing because someone reported it.

1) You may have recently created a reverse lookup zone?  If so then you may now have noticed an issue because of this.  Its common for DNS servers not to have reverse lookup zones.

2) The "sparadic" nature of the issue is mostly likely caused by DNS round robin.

March 15th, 2010 9:45pm

1. No new zone additions
2. Can you be a bit more specific the round-robin you mntioned - how can it contribute to duplicate IP addresses?

P.S> If you say rthat duplicate IP have always been there - do you meen that in the environment that is not scavanged it is unavoidable? (I used to think that dulicate IPs in DNS are "really evail" and can cause a lot of issues...

Thanks.
Elijah
March 15th, 2010 10:12pm

By default Scavenging is not enabled in Windows 2000/2003 DNS.  By default Dynamic DNS is enabled.  Therefore its typical for subnets for that use DHCP to register mutiple names with the same IP address in DNS.

Round Robin in DNS is enabled by default.  Round robin is a simplistic load balacing technology where the responses returned by DNS are alternated between the records registered with the same name.

Example
test1 A 10.1..1.1
test1 A 10.1..1.2
test1 A 10.1..1.3

With round robin all three of the ip addresses will returned in a circular fashion....one at a time per request.  For more information see this.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-round-robin-dns.htm

This also applies to the Reverse lookup zones and PTR records, in which the NAME returned is round robined.  As shown in the example below.

Example:
3.1.1.10 PTR Test1
3.1.1.10 PTR Test2
3.1.1.10 PTR Test3

Dupliate IP's are not "Evil" in DNS.  Frankly they don't matter, except in a reverse lookup scenario....which is very rarely used by applications.  The one exception tends to be backup applications that wish to verify target servers identity.
March 16th, 2010 1:57pm

OK, now I'm getting a little bit confused :)
Why duplicate IP don't really matter? (I assume because nobody references workstations by dns names, hence it won't affect network) but I have to be sure.
If they don't really matter then what would be the reason for cleaning them up from DNS and the reason for enable scavaging?

Thanks.
Elijah,
March 16th, 2010 9:36pm

DNS scavenging is mostly considered an administrative issue not a technological one. 

If duplicate IPs in DNS are an issue in your environment then you should implement it, if they don't affect anything and/or you don't care from and administive standpoint then you can safely ignore them.

March 16th, 2010 9:53pm

OK, Guys, thanks a lot for the input. The only thing that I don't understand is why duplicate IP addresses a problem and why people would try to use scavanging (if in most of the cases dups are not an issue). I know it sounds like a silly question but I can't help it :)

If you are aware of the doc that gives a list of under which scenarios dups are created in DNS - it would be interesting to read.

Thanks
Elijah.

March 17th, 2010 3:31pm

OK, Guys, thanks a lot for the input. The only thing that I don't understand is why duplicate IP addresses a problem and why people would try to use scavanging (if in most of the cases dups are not an issue). I know it sounds like a silly question but I can't help it :)

If you are aware of the doc that gives a list of under which scenarios dups are created in DNS - it would be interesting to read.

Thanks
Elijah.

Are you actually seeing duplicate IPs, or multiple hostname entries of the same name, such as:

workstation1   A   192.168.5.30
workstation2   A   192.168.5.22
workstation3   A   192.168.5.55

What I'm guessing at is that the duplicates you *may* be seeing are for hostname records, and if you have a reverse zone, you *may* also be seeing them in there, too.

My guess also is that these are only DHCP clients.

If my assumptions and guesses are correct, then what's going on is DHCP does not own the record. So when a client gets an IP from DHCP, the DHCP server will register that client, and the client will register the reverse PTR (if you have a reverse zone). But when the client goes away for a length of time longer than the lease and comes back, it gets a new IP, DHCP registers that entry into DNS, and the client registers into the reverse zone. But the problem is DHCP can't update the previous entry because it does not own the record, therefore, you will see dupes.

If my assumptions are correct so far, then you must configure DHCP to stop doing that and own the records.

Sure, as already noted in this thread, Scavenging is also recommended. Just be sure that when you set scavenging, that the NOREFRESH and REFRESH times added up together, the sum is equal or greater than the lease time.

To be specific:

September 11th, 2013 5:18am

Great run down of articles there from Ace, well done. Regards, Silyrics
June 27th, 2015 11:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics