Due date and comments mess in email notifications

Hi,

When a notification is sent to either the analyst or affected user and it has had any date changes or multiple comments, everything shows in the email, not just the latest. For instance, priority changes, as below:

and the comments when notifying the analyst or user does the same:

I'm using TargetEndDate for the due date and TroubleTicketHas user/analyst comments for the IR/SR comments and updates. The more comments added or date changes that happen just adds to what reads a mainly jibberish. I've been looking for a way to clear the previous input on the mail template but have turned nothing up and html isn't really my bag.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

• Edited by bc211267 Friday, February 13, 2015 9:40 AM
February 13th, 2015 3:11am

It looks like your notification subscription is targeting your work item (change request ,service request, incident, whatever).

Further, it looks like that your template includes a path to the related comments.

By design, the notification feature of SCSM will display _all_ related objects when you specify a relationship path. So, since there are many comments related to your work item, many comments will be displayed in the email. Out of the box there's no way to adjust this behavior (*geeky side-node: afterall, how would the system decide which related item to show? You may suggest "newest", but "newest" is very limiting..what if I want to show the second oldest? Or only the ones added by Bob? Basically, it would require adding sophisticated criteria capability to the $context path feature)

Instead, target your notification subscription to your comment class when a new comment is created. Then you can display the parent work item information using a relationship path. And since a comment will only ever have 1 parent work item, only the information from that parent work item will be displayed.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 13th, 2015 5:19pm

In the console, the comments display individually as expected:

and when expanded they contain the individual comments from either the user or the analyst.

The notifications are all handled by custom workflows created in SM and apart from the due date and comments they work perfectly.

When you say 'creating their emails using custom workflows (like me)', where are you creating them and what criteria would you be using for the date and comments?

February 17th, 2015 8:36am

You might be interested in the <Group> Tag, which allows an HTML Template to walk through relationships like this in order. http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2010/08/30/notifying-the-affected-user-when-the-analyst-has-updated-the-action-log.aspx
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 17th, 2015 11:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics