Dual monitors for WinSer2008.
I've got a machine (Dell R5400) with two monitors. I have Vista Ult installed on C: and WinSer on F:.I have no problem using DVI 1600x1200 resolution with two monitors on Vista but WinServ shows only one Generic PnP monitor in Device Manager. The same is in MMC. I had a trouble initially getting full 1600x1200 resolution because a vgaadapter isinstalled by default: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. What i did was that I killed two vga files (vga.sys and vgapnp.sys) in Windows\System32\drivers\ folder which was not that easy. I had to write a speciall program for that. Even after that the files remained but apparently became corrupted and the vga controller picked up dvi monitor.sys driver and the resolution improved to 1600x1200. Vgaadapter working with DVI monitor, can you imagine.I tried to uninstall vga adapter but it came back on reboot.So, how can I get two monitors working in my WinSer2008?Thanks.AlexB
March 6th, 2009 5:50am

Hi, According to the description, you can use dual monitor in Windows Vista, so the display card of your computer is supported for dual monitor. Please install the corresponding display card driver for Windows Server 2008 to test whether it works. Best regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 6th, 2009 1:36pm

It does have monitor.sys - the same driver as in Vista. I will check the versions but I am pretty sure they are the same.Edit:Monitos.sys Vista Ult: 6.0.6001.18000 AlexB
March 6th, 2009 2:03pm

Hi Alex, I suspect its the compatibility problem of the driver you used. I have a machine running Windows Server 2008 and the dual monitors work properly. The version of monitor.sys is also 6.0.6001.18000 in Windows Server 2008. I recommend that you contact the display card manufacturer to get the compatible driver. Best regards, Vincent Hu
March 9th, 2009 12:24pm

Thank you Vincent. I actually has had no time to examine the issue close up. Perhap I will do it later today. A number of complicated events intervened.What kind of incompatibility could it be? The same card works well for Vista Ult on another partition. Do you think the Graphics Card Driver may be different in Windows Server from the one in Vista? But it should be the same moinitor.sys, correct? Before I contacted someone I want to understand the possible problem. It is very encouraging that it works for you well.AlexB
March 9th, 2009 8:42pm

Hi AlexBB,This is possible anincompatibility issue of the graphic drive on Windows Server 2008. As far as i know, those device drivers which workon Windows Vista could be not suitable for Windows Server 2008.Once ihave install a driver of ATIgraphic card on Windows Vista, and it works fine with dual-monitor. However, the moment i install the same driver on Windows Server 2008, i find the dual-monitor cannot be support and even if the display resolution could not beadjusted into fine status which is unexpected.in this case, I think you may highly consider contacting the vendor of your graphic card to obtain the update driver for Windows Server 2008.Thanks and regards,Scorprio MCTS | MCITP: Server & Enterprise Admin
March 10th, 2009 5:55pm

hey I have the same probem where i attahced new monitor but it only detects one monitor though I can see desktop on both monitors but not in extended way. How to solve this problrm. Do I need to reintsall OS again to get dual monitor? I have updated drivers etc. My monitrs are Samsung 204B. thanks Monty er_montyjain@yahoo.com Monty Jain
May 11th, 2010 1:20am

I got the exactly same issue as Monty. Can you share your solution once you have an answer?
May 20th, 2010 4:11am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics