Dual boot problem - how hosed am I?
Probably really hosed, but here's hoping... let me know if you have any clever ideas. Here's the backstory: Upgrading to a new laptop, I used Mark Russinovich's Disk2VHD tool to turn my existing HD contents from my old laptop into a VHD file.I installed Windows Server 2012 on the new laptop, and copied Mike-Win8Laptop.vhd to the laptop (server).I created a new Hyper-V VM and referenced the VHD in the new VM, and it WORKED!Flushed with success, I launched BCDEdit inside of Server 2012, made a copy of the {current} profile, and configured a reference to the same Mike-Win8Laptop.VHD file in the osDevice property. I rebooted the computer, chose the new OS option in the boot selection screen, and it worked! I was essentially now dual-booting Server 2012 and Windows 8, with the hitch that the Windows 8 system was also accessible as a VM inside of Hyper-V.Things worked great in the dual-booted Windows 8 until I accidentally booted Windows Server 2012, and the Windows 8 VM launched. Not meaning to do that, I shut down Server 2012 and restarted my system to get back into Windows 8 dual-boot.I now get the blue-screen emoticon frowning at me, and a message that says Inaccessible Boot Device. And the reboots just keep on coming...I've been able to Mount the VHD inside of Server 2012 in Disk Management, and copied out all of my personal files, so if I have to re-install, all is not lost. But if I can resuscitate the ailing VHD, that would be so much better.
December 4th, 2012 7:45am

You have Windows Server 2012 as the base OS. Then you have Windos 8 VHD which you want to boot natively and in a VM. I am not sure this is possible. You have to decide which way you want to use Windows 8 VHD: 1. native boot 2. boot in VM After you have decided I think fixing is possible. I would suggest VHD native boot as this way you have only disk virtual access, all other devices are accessed natively and so you don't loose performance. To fix native VHD booting: (booted to Server 2012) 1. Delete all existing loaders for Win 8 VHD (do not delete loader for Server 2012 !)- you can use Visual BCD Editor which simplifies operation, click on loader you want to delete, right-click and select "Delete loader/object". 2. Attach VHD. Say it is mapped to V:. 3. In Visual BCD Editor - right-click and select "Create missing loaders". Confirm. This will create a new loader for native VHD boot. You can rename new loader by using key F2 when loader is selected or change its "Description" element. To fix booting of VHD - fix boot files inside VHD: 1. bcdboot v:\Windows 2. bcdboot c:\Windows in this order. Hope this helps. Notes: 1. Eventually you have to run additionally sfc /scannow for VHD if some kind of error when booting or operating VHD pops up. 2. For fixing advanced boot options on F8 key (attaching recovery to loaders) use ReAgentC.exe utility.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 4th, 2012 11:23am

You have Windows Server 2012 as the base OS. Then you have Windos 8 VHD which you want to boot natively and in a VM. I am not sure this is possible. You have to decide which way you want to use Windows 8 VHD: 1. native boot 2. boot in VM After you have decided I think fixing is possible. I would suggest VHD native boot as this way you have only disk virtual access, all other devices are accessed natively and so you don't loose performance. To fix native VHD booting: (booted to Server 2012) 1. Delete all existing loaders for Win 8 VHD (do not delete loader for Server 2012 !)- you can use Visual BCD Editor which simplifies operation, click on loader you want to delete, right-click and select "Delete loader/object". 2. Attach VHD. Say it is mapped to V:. 3. In Visual BCD Editor - right-click and select "Create missing loaders". Confirm. This will create a new loader for native VHD boot. You can rename new loader by using key F2 when loader is selected or change its "Description" element. To fix booting of VHD - fix boot files inside VHD: 1. bcdboot v:\Windows 2. bcdboot c:\Windows in this order. Hope this helps. Notes: 1. Eventually you have to run additionally sfc /scannow for VHD if some kind of error when booting or operating VHD pops up. 2. For fixing advanced boot options on F8 key (attaching recovery to loaders) use ReAgentC.exe utility.
December 4th, 2012 7:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics