Dual boot problem
currently am using windows xp as my primary os which is loacted on my disc 0 on c partition my secondary os is windows server 2003 standard edition on disk 1 on L partion am testing windows 7 RC which is on disk1 on M partition i was able to use these 3 operating systems as multi-boot i formatted my widows xp and after that am unable to use these operating systems as multi boot i also tried booting windows 7 and server 2003 from disk 1 but i get message insert proper boot media (my hdd and its connections r ok hdd is working fine) i also tried fixboot and fixmbr comand by inserting server 2003 boot media can any one please provide an accurate solution
August 20th, 2009 8:32pm

Hi RajanPlease look into this Article and also check your Boot.ini and all other booting files http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm?page=6http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/cd360792-e2e4-44ad-bc52-838d54e0fca2Deva Dont do what others say - listen to them, but do what you feel good doing.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2009 7:44am

Hi, Let me have a analysis of your environment. If I misunderstand your concern, please feel free to let me know. 1. You installed Windows XP on the first disk. 2. You installed Windows Server 2003 and Windows 7 on the second disk later. So there will be a three system boot menu when you start the computer. If so, after you format the Windows XP partition, the boot information of Windows Server 2003 and Windows 7 will lost. Please perform the following steps : Step1: Exchange the port of the disk Please unplug your disk 0(where Windows XP located), and then put the disk 1 to the connect where disk 0 plug to. You can plug the original disk 0 the other connect on the motherboard. Step2: Repair the boot information of Windows 7 1. Boot your computer from Windows 7 installation disk, 2. choose repair your computer---->Next------>Cancel the "Re-image your computer"-----cancel, then you will get the System Recovery Options, select Command Prompt, 3. Input diskpart in Command Prompt 4. input list volume, in the output, find the volume you have Windows Server 2003 located in(such as volume 1) 5. Input select volume 1 6. input active to active the volume 1(I assume you didn't active this volume when you install Windows Server 2003 and Windows 7 on this disk. If you have the volume 1 actived, please ignore step 3 to step 6) 7. input exit to exit the diskpart 8. input bootrec/scanos, it will scan Windows 7 on your hard drive 9. input bootrec/rebuildbcd 10. input Y while asking "Add installation to boot list?" 11. restart the computer 12. Boot from Windows 7 installation again. 13. Choose repair your computer, it will scan your disk 14. Click Repair and restart after the scan 15. Boot from Windows 7 installation again. 16. Choose repair your computer, after the scan, it will show your Windows 7 in the operating system list. 17. Click Next and select "Startup Repair", it will repair the Windows 7 startup automatically. 18. Restart the computer, now you will be able to start Windows 7 Note: If you can start Windows 7, please repeat step 15 to step 17. Step3: Repair the boot information of Windows Server 2003 1. Download EasyBCD and installed it in Windows 7 2. Copy NTDETECT.COM from another Windows Server 2003 computer or Windows Server 2003 installation disk to the partition where Windows Server 2003 located. 3. Run EasyBCD and then add an Windows Server 2003 entry, save the change 4. Restart the computer and you will be able to start Windows Server 2003 too. For more information about EasyBCD, you can refer to: How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm?page=4 Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
August 21st, 2009 10:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics