Dual-Boot Server 2016 TP2 not starting up

Hello, I have a dual boot of windows 10 and windows server 2016. Recently, I cannot boot into the Server partition. I tried bootrec.exe commands but it didn't work. Automatic repair also didn't work. Also, I had the idea of installing TP3 over the TP2 and see if that would fix it. But I can't get TP3 to install (I used Rufus to make a bootable USB.) It says to unplug the USB and start up regularly and then insert it. I don't want to install TP3 on the Windows 10 partition (Setup doesn't show any partition settings.) How do I recover the lost partition or install TP3? Please respond, Thanks

September 6th, 2015 6:02pm

Hello,

Was Windows 10 recently upgraded?

Is Windows Server 2016 setup as native boot (Boot to VHD)?

You can used BCDEdit /enum to see if Windows Server 2016 in the BCD store. If not, you can use BCDEdit /set {GUID} to add Windows Server 2016 to the boot menu.

Here's a article that walks through configuring native boot.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825691.aspx

Regards,

Steven Graves

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2015 6:43pm

Hi, Windows 10 was upgraded to a new build recently. Server 2016 still shows up on the Metro Screen while booting up. After clicking Server it gives an error: "IRQL not less or equal" and reboots. I will take a look at the link you gave me. Please respond with anything new. Thanks
September 8th, 2015 9:27pm

Hello,

Thank you for clarifying Windows Server 2016 does attempt to start but then bugchecks with "IRQL not less or equal". So this wouldn't be an issue with the BCD store.

Here is the MSDN article that discusses this type of bugcheck;

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560129%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Cause

This bug check is issued if paged memory (or invalid memory) is accessed when the IRQL is too high.

The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS.

If you encounter bug check 0xA while upgrading to a later version of Windows, this error might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version.

Regards,

Steven Graves

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2015 4:10pm

Hi, I don't see the option "Last known good configuration." What am I looking for in the Event Log?
September 12th, 2015 3:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics