Driver settings aren't being retained.

Printer Server = Windows Server 2008 R2 (SP1)

Printer = Intermec PM4i (label printer)

Issue: There are specific settings within the printer driver that are necessary for printing our labels.  We install the printer on our print server, and use the latest driver from Intermec.  Next we go into the driver properties/settings --> Printer Properties --> Advanced tab --> Printing Defaults..  Here we make all of our modifications.

After we make the modifications and save them, we refresh the screen and open the printing defaults again.  ..And nothing has been saved!  It's like it ignored everything we modified and put them back to the defaults.

So we called Intermec and they recommended a 'do everything' approach.  That is, reset the physical printer to factory defaults, update firmware, etc.  They didn't think it would help, but it was the only actions they could come up with.  We figured before we did all that, we'd try setting up the print queues on a different server.  This new one is Server 2012.  ..And surprise, the modifications are retained no problem.  Consequently, we decided not to follow Intermec's recommendations, for now.  If it works on one server, but not the other, then something is going on with the first server.

So on the first server we used the Print Management utility (in Administrative Tools) to remove Intermec printer, associated printer ports, and any Intermec drivers on the server.  Then reboot, then try again.  ..And again the settings are not being retained.

Has anyone encountered this behavior before?  This could be with any make/model of printer, not necessarily Intermec.  Unfortunately the server where the drivers are retaining their settings is a dev server, and ultimately they need to go back to the original server (it's our enterprise print server for the organization).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

February 16th, 2015 3:30pm

Hi,

Would you please let me know which account you use to complete the operation? Did you get any error or warning? Just a confirmation, thanks for your understanding.

Please also check if install all necessary updates on the printer server.

If any update, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 18th, 2015 5:55pm

Eventually the problem resolved itself.  I've no idea why.  After resetting the driver configuration at least two dozen times, it eventually held.  I've no explanation.
  • Marked as answer by blinkyjesus 2 hours 44 minutes ago
March 5th, 2015 7:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics