Domain user disappears after I 'add' it to RemoteDesktopUsers group
I've got a Windows 2008 R2 (64 bit) server I'm having a problem with. I'm trying to add a domain user to the RemoteDesktopUsers group. I can locate the user and add him, however when I click Apply or OK it disappears. I've tried a couple of different users and a couple of different groups and I get the same behaviour. This is a dev server in a dev domain and there's also a dev domain controller. Most thing work correctly but a few things are a bit off. Any ideas anyone?
November 4th, 2010 6:21pm

Hi, When you say "when I click Apply or OK it disappears", do you mean the domain user is deleted from AD or just not be able to add to the local group? Please try using the net localgroup to add the domain user to the group and check the result. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 5th, 2010 3:45am

If I run: net localgroup "Remote Desktop Users" mydomain\myuser /add I get the message: System error 1378 has occurred. The specified account name is already a member of the group. However when I open the group in Computer Management, no users display as members of the group. If I run the same command on the Users group I get the message: The command completed successfully. However when I open the users group in Computer Mangement, the new user does not appear. ???
November 5th, 2010 1:16pm

Hi, According to the symptom, it seems that users can be added to user group properly. However, users could not be displayed in the MMC. Please help check the following: 1. Run the net localgroup “remote desktop users” command on the server to see whether the users added can be displayed properly. If so, this means that users have been added properly. It’s just a MMC display issue. 2. On another computer, open the Computer Management console and connect to the problematic server. Can users be displayed properly? This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 9th, 2010 1:49am

Hi, How are you? Is there any update on the issue? If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to respond back. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 17th, 2010 4:06am

I have the same problem and it's driving me crazy. Any time I add a domain user/group to a local group it 'disappears' but then the second time it says 'already a member' - do domain members show in the group listing. This is inside an ESXi server if it matters. I've got a Win 7 member machine that adds domain members just fine.
December 27th, 2010 9:34pm

I've got the exact same problem. I try to add a domain user to a local group (for example Administrators or Remote Desktop Users) and it disappears when I click apply. If I try to add it a second time, I get the error message saying the user is already in the group. However, when I check with the commmand provided by Joson Zhou: net localgroup Administrators the user I'm trying to add is not listed. I'm working with a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controller and 2 Windows Server 2008 R2 servers connected to the domain. It's the same behavior on the 2 servers. I use the .VHD evaluation image of Windows Server 2008 R2 provided by Microsoft for all 3 virtual machines.
February 9th, 2011 2:22pm

Ok, I want to give an update since I solved my problem. I said I had 3 virtual machines on Windows Server 2008 R2, and those machines was from the .VHD evaluation of WS 2008 R2. That was the problem. All machines was having the exact same Windows with the same serial numbers since all 3 was derivated from the same VHD. I downloaded the evaluation ISO of WS 2008 R2, created new virtual machines, installed Windows on each of them, and now I can add domain users in local groups successfully. What I learned today: Do not duplicate a virtual machine and put them in a domain :).
February 9th, 2011 7:04pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics