Domain browsing Win2k3 R2 AD
Hi there, I have a query I'd like to clarify in Windows Explorer under Network Neighborhood we are able to browse the NetBIOS AD domain names of other domains within our internal network. Based on my understanding this is default by design due to NetBIOS broadcast, so in our environment we can see other domains under Entire Network - Microsoft WIndows Network in Windows Explorer. DomainA DomainB DomainC DomainD.... etc. what I'd like to clarify is if my computer is a member of domainA if I browse to Entire Network - Microsoft WIndows Network I will be able to see the NetBIOS names of domain A/B/C and D by default as per Windows design. However is it normal for me to be able to click on DomainB,C or D and also see the list of computers within the domain? And presumable NetBOS is not able to broadcast over VLANs because what we can see is the NetBIOS domains of offices in other geograhical locations connected via international links but we can - what may be the cause of this? Many thanksMomo
April 26th, 2010 9:09pm

This article may help. How browsing browsing over a multi-subnet TCP/IP network works in a domain and in a workgroup http://support.microsoft.com/kb/117633 Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 26th, 2010 9:48pm

Dave, Thanks for the reply - I've read the KB but just like to confirm one thing, if my workstation is in DomainA and in Microsoft Networks I can see DomainB and DomainC I it possible for my workstation to click on DomainB or C and see the list of computers? Cheers..........Momo
April 27th, 2010 8:30am

I think you'll need to employ some WINS servers. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
April 27th, 2010 12:23pm

Thanks for the relply. Actually what I wanted to know was just the behaviour because we actually don't want the broadcast to happen. Cheers.......Momo
May 3rd, 2010 12:47pm

Then you can disable the computer browser service. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
May 3rd, 2010 4:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics