Domain authentication fails immediately after computer reboot.
On one of the computers in the domain I have our application that runs as a service. It is configured for automatic startup and runs under domain account created specially for this purpose - our application connects to SQL Server and this domain account is given access rights to the database. The problem I am experiencing is that right after computer on which our service is installed is restarted our service fails to start. There is this message in System Event log that explains it: The $OurApplicationName service failed to start due to the following error: The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified. When I remote desktop to that computer and try to start service via "Services" console it starts fine. I suspected that immediately after reboot when our service tries to start the computer "has not logged to domain yet" and scheduled "sc start" command via Windows Scheduler 10 minutes after reboot. This works successfully but not a prefect solution. I think what has to be done is to make startup of our service dependent on some other service that "logs computer in the domain" after the reboot but I don't know what this service is. Our service is already dependent on TCP/IP Protocol driver but this is clearly not enough. Anyone know what Windows service logs computer in the domain?
May 28th, 2010 4:15pm

Try resetting the password for the domain account on the service itself. It sounds like your domain user account expired. I usually set service accounts not to expire to prevent this from happening.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 28th, 2010 6:01pm

Check the service account properties in AD. On the computer, a password must be specified for the account in the "Log on As" dialog box under this account. Re-enter the password and Ensure the password is correct Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
May 28th, 2010 6:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics