Domain admin account not in local administrators group?
On a W2008 server, I have a folder with full permissions assigned to local administrators group. When I logon as domain 'administrator' built in account (member of domain administrators group), I can access the folder. When I logon as another domain account, which is a member of all the same groups as domain 'administrator', including domain administrators group, I can't access the folder. I don't see why my domain account should not have any different rights to the domain administrator account. Is this standard out-of-the-box, or has someone set policies so that a member of domain admin group is not automatically in local administrators group. I have looked around quite a bit, but have not been able to see what the problem is. Any suggestions will be much appreciated! jm
October 29th, 2010 7:16am

Hi, What is the error message you encountered when trying to access the folder with another domain account, “access denied” or others? Please make sure that no deny permission is assigned to any group the user account belongs to and no deny permission is assigned to this user account directly. If the issue persists, would you please logon the problematic account, then run the command: WhoAmI /All >C:\result1.txt and post the output for our further research? Please also run the command: cacls <FolderPath> >C:\result2.txt and post the output. Please replace the <FolderPath> with the real folder path. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 1st, 2010 4:40am

What is in the local user group "Administrators"? Is it domain\administrator or is it domain\domain admins? Sounds like it is the latter. -- Paul Bergson MVP - Directory Services MCITP: Enterprise Administrator MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci 2008, Vista, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4 http://www.pbbergs.com Twitter @pbbergs Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 1st, 2010 7:50am

I am experiencing the exact same problem. Did you ever find a solution? alpe9000
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 18th, 2010 9:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics