Domain Controller failure
I'm working on an environment with three servers. Win2k3EntSP1 [DC] Win2k8EntSP2 [GC] Win2k3EntSP2 [member server] The DC is failing HARD. I can bring it online, but I cannot login because the profile is currupt also there are random registry errors with memory dumps and restarts. This is basically just a file server. The GC is running Exchange 2k7. And the Member server is running Sharepoint 2k7. I've already moved the DHCP and DNS roles to 2k8 server with exchange but I wonder if there is a way to move the AD as well and make it the DC & GC? I don't really need the server 2k3 anymore becuase I can move the shared files to the new 2k8 server.
February 3rd, 2011 11:46am

Is the failing DC the only DC in this setup? Please advise.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 3rd, 2011 12:08pm

Thanks for the quick response Wetfish, I think the Exchange server is a DC but it's showing as GC under type in the ADSS. And when the DC server is offline ADUC indicates that the domain cannot be found. I was reading now about FSMO roles I'm thinking I may try to move the roles to the Exchange server and see if that resolves my issues. I'll post back with results. The other interesting issue I'm having is that some actions are failing (i.e. remote desktop) with an "RPC server unavailable" error.
February 3rd, 2011 12:29pm

If the Exchange server is a DC (hopefully), you can seize the roles using the following procedure: http://www.petri.co.il/seizing_fsmo_roles.htm Hope this helps.
February 3rd, 2011 1:16pm

Thanks again Wetfish, The exchange server can manipulate AD, and I can run the ntdsutil so I believe Exchange is a DC. I've actaully got the old DC running in Safe Mode w/Networking, do you think I might be able to perform a Transfer of FSMO roles instead? and would that be cleaner?
February 3rd, 2011 1:30pm

You can try to transfer the roles from the BAD DC interface using this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324801 However, to be honest with you, I never tried transferring roles while in Safemode. If you do not succeed, then you are forced to seize them from the Exchange machine.
February 3rd, 2011 1:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics