Domain Backup Resotore failure
Hi, i have domain running on Windows 2003 R2 (native mode), after several reboot in a hour due to disk failure, Active directory corrupted and displayed during boot "Rebuilding Indexes" . i have backup 17 days old. so after adding new disk to system and reinstalling of Windows 2003 R2, Active Directory , DNS , DHCP and restarted the server in "Active Directory Restore Mode" . but after restore, System was unable to boot. i have tried this several times. whereas if i use it without restore it works fine (new domain) Old disk was IDE 160 GB and in 3 partitions, whereas new disk is 80 GB with 2 Partitions and Ram Upgraded to 2 GB, whereas it was 1 GB.
July 18th, 2009 7:09pm

Hello,you changed the harwdare configuration with the backup and the current setup, different disks. To use the old backup you should have the same hardware configuration.What is strange for me is that you have disks with backup? The important part for restoring is the system state from the DC, better a full system drive and the system state.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 20th, 2009 2:00am

Hi,You are right, i did a WDS image after failure of disk. since i restored it on working disk and Domain controller is working some how. (Group policy problem Gpt.ini not found ).Now the problem is how do i move from this, since the additional domain controller (Group policy) is also corrupted. is there any process to resotre backup on other hardware.Is it possible to install a new Additional Domain controller and replicate only Users, Group and computer Accounts. so after that i will create new Group policy ?thanks.
July 20th, 2009 12:29pm

Hello,images, VM snapshots or cloned machines are NOT supported ways of backup from domain controllers!!!So if you do not have at least a system state backup from one DC, better a full backup with system state, the chance is not that big that you get the domain back.Is the second DC also creashed before? What exactly is not working with group policy? If the second DC is not DNS and Global catalog server it relies complete on the otherfailed DC and will automatically have errors.So please describe in detail what steps you have to done for the restore on the crashed DC and what's about the second DC.Which of them is the FSMO role holder?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 21st, 2009 4:03am

HI,All FSMO role are running on DC 1 ( hard disk crashed and replaced with new one and image of WDS restored on it, since system state backup was not working on that). before final crash of DC1 it dispalyeda message on boot " Index rebuilding" and replicated this information to Additional Domain Controller. In the Event Application Log there are list of errors Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=mydomain,DC=local. The file must be present at the location <\\mydomain.local\sysvol\mydomain.local\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (The system cannot find the path specified. ). Group Policy processing aborted. The File Replication Service has detected that the replica root path has changed from "c:\windows\sysvol\domain" to "c:\windows\sysvol\domain". If this is an intentional move then a file with the name NTFRS_CMD_FILE_MOVE_ROOT needs to be created under the new root path. This was detected for the following replica set: "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" Changing the replica root path is a two step process which is triggered by the creation of the NTFRS_CMD_FILE_MOVE_ROOT file. [1] At the first poll which will occur in 60 minutes this computer will be deleted from the replica set. [2] At the poll following the deletion this computer will be re-added to the replica set with the new root path. This re-addition will trigger a full Thanks. for Help
July 21st, 2009 8:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics