Domain Admin does not have rights to run programs - Server 2008 R2 SP1
Hello. I've seen a lot of posts with this question but they usually have a twist that doesn't apply to me and their solutions haven't helped me so far. I'm setting up a plain jane VMWare lab environment: One DC and two servers all 2008 R2 SP1. I created a Domain user and made her a member of Domain Admins, Enterprise Admins, Schema Admins. On the non-DC servers I have normal functionality on the Domain Administrator accout and local Administrators. I also created a local user and put them in the local administrator account and all is well. The problem is that the Domain user cannot do anything on the non-DC computer that requires elevated permissions. Whenever I try, I get the all-to-familiar errror "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the apropriate permissions to access the item." When I look at effective permissions on that item "Windows can't calculate the effecitve permissions for blah." Any help is appreciated. Thx. Edit: I searched around and found that I had duplicate SIDs due to my copying the Virtual Machines.
February 27th, 2011 11:58am

Hi. I have the same problem. One DC and two members. All 3 are 2008 R2 SP1. I have installed all 3 from ISO in a HyperV environment. (Non SP1 ISO, SP1 with Windows Update but before I created the DC.) I have not copied the VM:s and I have checked the SID:s and they are different. But still, as local administrator no problem with access to administrative tasks but as a Domain+Enterprise+Schema admin I am not granted any administrative rights. Not even "ping localhost". ("Unable to contact IP Driver.)" /Sten-ke
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 28th, 2011 4:30pm

Hi I have the same problem do you fix it?!?!
April 6th, 2011 12:55pm

I had the same problem in a lab i just setup. Drove me crazy for about 2 hours. In the end disabling UAC fixed the issue. It still makes no sense to me why it is behaving like this and i can seem to find anything from microsoft on why this happens.
May 14th, 2011 7:41pm

Same problem here.d
June 14th, 2011 2:43pm

Hey guys, Just run sysprep anyways with the Generalization box checked. Sysprep is in C:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe Don't run on the Domain Controller only on all Cloned VM's. Keep in mind this is just a best practice... and me being a virtual admin I use templates and they do it automatically... I just forgot.. Works like a dream for me now.
January 19th, 2012 8:45am

Can be useful: http://www.misdivision.com/blog/how-to-change-an-sid-on-windows-server-2008-r2
August 9th, 2012 3:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics