Domain Account on Local Computer
We are replacing a Netware server with a Windows Server. All the users on the network have their exisiting accounts on their local machine. When attaching to a domain a new account is created. Is there anyway to convert their current local account to log in to the domain? If not is there someway of transferring their entire local account to the new domain account that is created? If the server is not available will they not be able to log on to their machine at all? Thanks, Jim
June 16th, 2009 6:44am

Hello,This link contain a document too assist in your migration from netware to Active Directoryhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/sfnmig.mspxIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 16th, 2009 11:01am

Isaac, Thanks for the response. I was not aware of the Netware Migration software but I am not inclined to spend money on it. We have one server providing only file services so the migration is not significant. I still cannot find any answer to my basic questions about accounts: local accounts vs. domain accounts. Please see my original question. I am currently thinking of just mapping a local drive to the volume on the server to keep things simple. Thanks for any help you can provide. Jim
June 16th, 2009 7:27pm

Hello Jim,If you download and read the word doc from the above link, microsoft mention of MSDSS tool that is free of charge and will enable you to move/convert local accounts to domain accounts.All the migration software listed in the doc are free tools to assist to migrate from netware to active directory provided my MicrosoftIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 16th, 2009 11:04pm

Thank you Isaac, I did skim through the article and did some searching for the MSDSS tool but didn't think it was free. I will definately look into that. Can you help with my question about the user accounts on the local workstation? Thanks, Jim
June 17th, 2009 4:23am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics