Does no one else want to use dism to install SP2 to an offline server 2008 image?
I thought that is what the add package feature was for. It keeps giving me an error, and I cant find any specific information to do this. Can anyone provide guidance? Thanks!
October 23rd, 2009 12:51am

Hi Jonathan440,Thank you for posting in windows server forums, Please find the info below Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) works on Windows7, WindowsVista with Service Pack 2 (SP2), WindowsVista with Service Pack1 (SP1), Windows Server2008R2 and WindowsServer2008 imagesFor mor info please check the below link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744500(WS.10).aspxsainath !analyze
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 23rd, 2009 4:12am

Hi, DISM can be used to service the following operating systems: l Windows 7 l Windows Server 2008 R2 l Windows Vista and Vista Service Pack 1 and Vista Service Pack 2 l Windows Server 2008 l Windows PE 2.1 or later While DISM works on Windows 7, Windows Vista SP1/SP2, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008 images. However, the full functionality of DISM is only available when you are servicing a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 image. This is because the files and resources required to service any Windows image are located in the image. DISM will detect and use the resources available in the target image to update the image. If you are servicing a Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 image, DISM will translate the DISM command to the equivalent Package Manager command so that the image can be updated. This is why you do not get the additional functionality available in DISM when you are servicing a Windows Vista SP1 or Windows Server 2008 operating system. However, you will not lose any functionality. DISM provides functional parity to Package Manager. When you use DISM to service a Windows Vista SP1 or Windows Server 2008 image, note the following limitations: l Only offline scenarios are supported. l The Windows image that you are updating must be or Windows Server 2008. l Only Package Manager features are available the new functionality in DISM, such as adding and removing drivers without an answer file, or enumerating packages and drivers, will not translate to package manager syntax. l DISM must be run from a full operating system or from Windows PE. Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
October 23rd, 2009 6:05am

OK, I think I had a misunderstanding.I remeber when Vista RTM'ed, I was in the understanding that a service pack could be added to an image taken of vista in .wim format using package manager. I know when service pack 1 came out, microsoft needed to fix offline packaging part of vista, so doing an RTM to SP1 was not possible unless you installed sp1, driver reflect, and then sp1 clean, etc etc..So i can understand correctly, what you guys are saying is this functionality is not fixed in vista sp1/ server 2008 (and will not be), or are you saying I need to use package manager to do this becasue dism does not include this functionality? Thanks!
October 23rd, 2009 3:43pm

Hi, SP1 cannot be installed to or uninstalled from an offline image of Windows Vista. We can use Package Manager to install Windows updates but not Windows service packs on an offline Windows image. Tim Quan - MSFT
October 26th, 2009 6:53am

I don't think you read my question entirely. My thread is about Service Pack 2 for Server 2008. I know that Service Pack 1 cannot be done for Vista. I am asking about Service Pack 2. Can this be done with Package Manager for Server 2008? Thinking back to the launch of Vista, the original offline service model was to allow an offline image of Vista to have a service pack added to it offline. I am aware this did not work in the 1st service pack, and included a fix for it. So bottom line, what I am asking was this functionality fixed for Service Pack 2 for Vista/ Server 2008, or was is scrapped?
October 26th, 2009 5:29pm

It appears this functionality was scrapped I have discovered after doing some digging for another issue I had with capturing an image of Server 2008 SP2.
October 26th, 2009 10:23pm

Hi, Service Pack 2 is same as Service Pack 1. We cannot install them onto an offline Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows image. Tim Quan - MSFT
October 27th, 2009 8:47am

What do you think of using the oobe pass in the unattend file. Or ad Application installtion using an MDT 2010 Task sequence. You "simply" add the /silent switch running the SP exe. at the End of your Installation. I ll try this out... I ll keep you postet cheers David
December 2nd, 2009 2:44am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics