Does chdsk /r actually do anything on a RAID array?
Just a small question. Does the /r switch have any actual effect when checking a volume that is part of a hardware RAID array? Surely the RAID Controller takes care of bad sector management, and abstracts the physical disks from the operating system?
July 11th, 2011 10:51pm

chkdsk is not RAID aware utiliy its works in simple cases in general it must be avoided if chkdsk tries to repair one or more raid member disk then there is chance that RAID data pattern will be destroyedhttp://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 11th, 2011 11:15pm

Ouch! I just ran chkdsk /f /r on my c: drive, and it made corrections to the file system. Have I done bad?
July 11th, 2011 11:27pm

No this is not bad, it found and fixed an issue, but you may want to look for file###.chk files in the root of the drive. These are lost file chains, which may indicate parts of one or more files were lost. The problem is finding those files, and correcting them. Sometime editing these files with a text or hex editor will help determine where they came from. However, in general i have simply deleted the files and never had an issue.
July 12th, 2011 2:15am

I'm relieved to hear that. What I am getting from all this is that it's ok to run it with the /f switch, but not the /r one. The help for /r says "Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information". It's the "recovers readable information" bit that scares me. In the very old days, there was a DOS utility called Scandisk. It was supposed to be an improvement on chkdsk. In those days, it was ok to have bad sectors on your drive. It was almost expected. The motivation for my original question is that I do not think that the /r switch does anything meaningful, in terms of actually scanning your media for defects, when run on a disk that is part of a RAID array. My reason for thinking this is that the RAID controller abstracts the physical disks, and presents a virtual disk to Windows. So chkdsk has no way of really knowing if a particular cluster on a physical disk is readable or not (which it should be trying to do with the /r switch) Do you see what I mean? What am I missing here?
July 12th, 2011 3:23am

It seems that opinions are mixed about the desirability of using chkdsk on RAID arrays. Some say yes, some say absolutley no! My opinion is that it is ok, and desirable to run chkdsk /f from time to time on RAID arrays. It is NEVER ok to run chkdsk /r on a RAID array. If you suspect something to be physically wrong with your disks, use the utility that is embedded in your RAID controller. You should verify your RAID arrays using your RAID controller software from time to time. Comments?
July 12th, 2011 7:38pm

Hi, Chkdsk is not a tool for RAID, but sometimes we will need to check disks as you mentioned like physically issue. And it is recommanded to use RAID controller software for RAID disks. This is correct.TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
July 15th, 2011 4:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics