Does Windows Server 2008 (R2) without Hyper-V edition use less resources?
Microsoft,Microsoft offers a differentedition of Windows Server 2008 (R2),with thatIam talking about the"without Hyper-V" edition. Microsoft describes this edition as "For customers that do not need virtualization, Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter editions are available without Windows Server Hyper-V Technology."But my question is... does the "without Hyper-V" edition use less resources? Or is it only a licensing thing. I can assume that the normal version does have the hypervisor kernel built-in and the "withouth Hyper-V" edition does not.In that case itmay use less resources. I would then use it for every virtual machine. But I am not sure about this.Can anyone from Microsoft please give a statement on this?Please read the following interesting link for more information.What Without Hyper-V means http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sanderberkouwer/archive/2008/10/21/what-without-hyper-v-means.aspxBoudewijn
June 19th, 2009 11:32am

Hello,if you don't install a feature, it will not use resources. Well, of courese it need some space on the disk, but this will be minimal.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 19th, 2009 11:51am

Hi,I do not get the feeling you really get the question.The "without Hyper-V" edition does not have the Hyper-V role or feature. Hyper-V uses a Hypervisor kernel. I need to know if you deploy a server wiht the "without Hyper-V" edition, does it use less/fewer resources. Even if you don't install Hyper-V at all. I will give you an example.Server 1: Windows Server 2008 Standard (Hyper-V NOT INSTALLED)Server 2: Windows Server 2008 Standard without Hyper-V (Hyper-V NOT INSTALLEDDoes server 2 use less/fewer resources than server 1?Boudewijn
June 20th, 2009 3:55pm

I doubt that you would see any measuarble difference. You would save a few dollars/euros/etc .Bill
June 21st, 2009 3:25am

Hello,the Hyper-V kernel is a small multi-processor operating system micro kernel with memory and thread management but without device drivers. It is used when Virtualization technology is used, so when youRUN Hyper-V, not when only installed.See also this description about Hyper-V:http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/b/9/5b97017b-e28a-4bae-ba48-174cf47d23cd/VIR047_WH06.pptMore or less it works when in use, so the influence of the used resoureces should be really minimal/zero when not used.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 21st, 2009 3:13pm

Hi Boud, I agree with Bill and Meinolf's opinion. In theory, if you don't install the Hyper-V Role on the computer, I don't think there are performance difference between Windows Server 2008 Standard (Hyper-V NOT INSTALLED)and Windows Server 2008 Standard without Hyper-V (Hyper-V NOT INSTALLED) on the same configuration computers. Best regards, Vincent Hu
June 22nd, 2009 11:17am

Hi,Thank you for your reply. Are you guys really sure about it? Why should Microsoft make a seperate edition, only because of license costs?I must agree, I also do not think it would make a big difference. But Ilike to know. Because when you are going to deploy a lot of virtual machines, it would be advicable to use the "without Hyper-V" edition. As far as I know on my Hyper-V training the kernel architecture (with hypervisor and such) is a bit different. The hypervisor kernel is even installed even when you don't install the role. But I'm not sure about that.I wonder why Microsoft made the seperate edition anyway.I am currently installing two virtual servers. one with and one without.You probably cannot tell the difference, but it just a quick test.Boudewijn
June 22nd, 2009 11:34am

Hi, I confirmed with your product group, here is the feedback from them: Window Server 2008 without Hyper-V means exactly that, Hyper-V is not included nor can you install Hyper-V later. If you decide you want Hyper-V later, you will need to purchase new licenses. As for you question about if one version uses more or less resources within a VM, they use exactly the same. Best regards, Vincent Hu
June 22nd, 2009 11:44am

I am glad that Microsoft decided to remove the "without Hyper-V" editions on Windows Server 2008 R2.
October 21st, 2009 9:56pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics