Do i need to setup storage pool?
If I have storage with iscsi/fc and I present a LUN's to the server do I need to deal with the storage pool or i do it like I was doing in server 2008 r2? I don't understand the needs for the storage pool at all and in my environment specific when i have iscsi/fc storage connected to my servers. THX
August 25th, 2012 1:02am

If I have storage with iscsi/fc and I present a LUN's to the server do I need to deal with the storage pool or i do it like I was doing in server 2008 r2? I don't understand the needs for the storage pool at all and in my environment specific when i have iscsi/fc storage connected to my servers. THX You're not forced to insert an extra level of abstraction. Can do everything as it was with 2008. -nismo
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 25th, 2012 4:12am

i had a similar question I have a dell server and an Equallogic storage. i have presented 5 LUNs to my two node Hyper-V cluster servers. Do I necessarily need to create a storage pool and create a virtual disk to create a CSV volume? what is the advantage of a storage pool when I already have my storage do the job of increasing the LUN size RAID etc at the stroage level? is the storage pool option given only for DAS or JBOD kind of storages? in any case i created storage pool with 4 20GB LUNs from Equallogic, but i keep getting an error saying "no storage pool suitable for the cluster found" thanks
August 25th, 2012 5:59pm

Hi In the nut-shell, storage pool it is a collection of physical disk and it combine into one pool. Doesn't it sound like a raid configuration?. Just the missing part will be like Raid 1,5 or 10. With the feature that is built-in , you can extend your storage and you can minimize the cost of investment while increasing productivity. In the past, when we would like to combine disk space from different type of disk, we can't do and we must have the raid controller to do it. But not we have a new changes, this is no longer a myth. We have talk about storage pool, now we have storage spaces. What it mean?. Well if you see by the word "Spaces", you will know this would be the available storage.From a storage pool, you will a create virtual disks, which are referred to as spaces. You can configure these virtual disks with a variety of attributes, such as resiliency or just-in-time provisioning. After you have created the virtual disk, you will start to partition the volume and formatted with a NTFS file system. I hope it help you better now:) CK
August 27th, 2012 3:38pm

thanks for the explanation. but how does it fit in if i use FC/ISCSI stoage?what i get if i use the storage pool and storage spaces when the environment have "REAL" storage? THX
August 27th, 2012 6:24pm

Hi there, I am not sure about the type of storage that you use. But I did use IBM storage from the range DS before and basically it doesn't provide thin provisioning and its very troublesome to expand the array. If you are using storage pool, you can mix the disk between SAS or SATA or any other as long the operating system can see the physical disk which is term as JBOD. Of course the feature it is not a replacement for enterprise class, but it does provide what you need in a small to medium scale.CK
August 28th, 2012 2:02am

Avi, Storage Spaces and Pools (SSP) doesn't support either FC or iSCSI bus types. Windows doesn't block you using your SAN LUNs in SSP, but Microsoft will not support it if you do. SSP is there to virtualize your storage and provide you with RAID capabilities on storage that wouldn't normally have it, such as SAS and USB. If you have FC or iSCSI, then utilize your RAID functionality there. Don't use SSP. Robert Mitchell Senior Support Escalation Engineer Microsoft Corp.
September 18th, 2012 5:47pm

Robert M, I have created an local testing environment, where we implement SSP to cluster multiple disks to a virtual drive, say D. Upon this virtual drive, we have created iSCSI virtual disk. Was i going right with this? Can i use the virtual disk for mounting them in another machine as iSCSI drives? I could face one problem with the above setup which was clearly explained in the a blog under title " Reset Windows Server 2012 iSCSI target virtual disk in error ". The above suggestion by Tony was temporary solution was temporary solution and we need some permanent solution.
April 25th, 2013 4:56pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics