Do I need to install language package in the target domain during migration of Active directory via ADMT?
I'm going to migrate users and groups via ADMT.
Server's OS in both source and target domains are Windows server 2012 R2.
Language setting of OS in source is Japanese, on the other hand the one in target domain is English.
Do I need to install language pack for Japanese in the target domain to avoid encoding probrem(mojibake)?

Thank you,
Kazuo Ieiri
September 2nd, 2015 9:11pm

Hi Kazuo,

I haven't tested this scenario before, but I think you should go ahead and install the language pack, make sure both operating systems use the same system user interface (UI) language.

We have below comments in "Active Directory Domain Services and DNS Server Migration Guide", for your reference:

"Migration from a source server to a destination server that is running an operating system that uses a different system user interface (UI) language (that is, the installed language) from the source server is not supported. The system UI language is the language of the localized installation package that was used to set up the Windows operating system. "

Regards,

Eth

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2015 10:11pm

Hi Ethan,

Thank you for your reply!
It would be very much appreciated if you could answer one more question.

I've heard that there might be a problem if you migrate files from source to target during fileserver migration because of different language OS setting -- source is Japanese, target is English in this case.
Is it right that I will not have any probrems since I will install language pack on Windows Server OS in target domain?

Regards,
Kazuo Ieiri

September 2nd, 2015 11:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics