DnsApi Warning (Event ID 1116) appears once everyday at member server in 2008 domain.
We have 1 Server 2008 DC (192.168.100.251) and 1 Server 2003 member Server (192.168.100.248) in LAN. After joined the member server from NT domain to Server 2008 domain, the member server appears below Event ID 11166 warning once everyday. ============================================================================ Event Type: Warning Event Source: DnsApi Event Category: None Event ID: 11166 Date: 8/31/2010 Time: 11:40:26 AM User: N/A Computer: UWFS Description: The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network adapter with settings: Adapter Name : {AED53518-50FB-47A7-8177-3C0306010FD2} Host Name : uwfs Primary Domain Suffix : umydomain.local DNS server list : 192.168.100.251 Sent update to server : 192.168.100.251 IP Address(es) : 192.168.100.248 The reason the system could not register these RRs was because of a security related problem. The cause of this could be (a) your computer does not have permissions to register and update the specific DNS domain name set for this adapter, or (b) there might have been a problem negotiating valid credentials with the DNS server during the processing of the update request. You can manually retry DNS registration of the network adapter and its settings by typing "ipconfig /registerdns" at the command prompt. If problems still persist, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator. For specific error code, see the record data displayed below. ============================================================================ I've tried the following methods but still not solve this issue. 1. Server 2003 > run ipconifg /registerdns, it will appear Event ID: 11166 DnsApi warning again. 2. Server 2008 DNS > add 192.168.100.248 A and PTR Record manually. Please kindly help? Thanks much.
September 3rd, 2010 6:13am

Hi EcoAxis , Thanks for post here. Please check if it worked with modify the registry vale below on member server : Registry Settings: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\DNSClient Reg_DWord :- RegistrationOverwritesInConflict Value - 1 And then please delete the member server’s record from DNS zone and perform “ipconfig /registerdns” to dynamically register a new HOST RR for that server. Hope that’s helpful Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2010 10:18am

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but it seems pretty appropriate for my question. I have Windows 2008 Server machines with private IP addresses. We also have NAT to translate these private IPs into public ones. The problem is, these machines register on the DNS server with their private IPs. Other domain machines on different subnets cannot communicate with them. We manually edited the A records on the DNS server to put the public IPs, which temporarily solved the problem. However, the machines re-registered themselves on the DNS server with their private IPs. I thought about creating a domain group policy for machines on this subnet and set RegistrationOverwritesInConflict to 0, but that setting only seems to work with Windows XP. Is there a similar one for Windows Server 2008? Thanks.
October 18th, 2010 5:27pm

Hello, i was have same problem with 1cserver, i just turn off dhcp client service, and it help me :) I no need dhcp client, but i has miss it then make change GPO :) (Sorry, fo my eanglish) , м 1 м , GPO , DHCP Client . 6-7 . dhcp client has gone :-D
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 26th, 2010 8:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics