Distribution Groups not working with Office 365. Server 2012 Essentials R2

Hello

My office 365 intregration appears to work fine for every thing but the distribution groups intergration. The tab of each user has the following error message. "no proper license can be found. Check your subscription and try again" with a retry button. hitting retry gives the same message. The tab in the dashboard shows the existing groups but with no information on members.

I am integrating with and existing 0ffice 365 E2 account and a fresh install of Server 2012 Essentials R2 with users added locally before the integration.

Any ideas on how to get distribution groups working?

Gord

September 22nd, 2014 7:17pm

Have you reviewed any of the Essentials log files to see if there any errors populating that tab?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 22nd, 2014 9:28pm

Hi Robert

There is a repeating error to do with AD certificate services (below), other than that nothing. I am not sure if I am missing any other logs. I will keep looking. 

Warning

Active Directory Certificate Services blsc2-SERVER2-CA can not open the certificate store at CN=NTAuthCertificates,CN=Public Key Services,CN=Services in the Active Directory's configuration container

Error

Could not connect to the Active Directory.  Active Directory Certificate Services will retry when processing requires Active Directory access.

EDIT: Checked this out more. the above only has to do with a reboot, then clears. Still no idea why the Distribution groups are not working.

September 22nd, 2014 10:11pm

The essentials logs are located here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs

September 23rd, 2014 11:12am

Thanks Robert

Here is a bit of the log that is generated when I try and populate the Distribution Groups tab for a user. looking for more. This is a bit out of my experience, thanks for your help.

[4968] 140915.141940.6199: : Log has been continued from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\dashboard.log
[4968] 140915.141940.6199: PluginManager: Unable to load type Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Identity.UI.UserGroupTabPage, UserGroupUIAddin from C:\Windows\system32\Essentials\. It cannot be assigned to the requested type Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Administration.ObjectModel.Adorners.PageContentAdorner
[4968] 140915.141940.6199: PluginManager: Unable to obtain plugin type information for type Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Identity.UI.UserGroupTabPage, UserGroupUIAddin
[4968] 140915.141940.6199: PluginManager: Invalid plugin file: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\Addins\Users\UserGroupTabPage.addin
[4968] 140915.141940.6199: PluginManager: ---- These warnings could be benign if the addin file is not pointing to an adorner. ----
[4968] 140915.141940.6199: PluginManager: Unable to load type Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Identity.UI.AddinPage, UserUIAddin from C:\Windows\system32\Essentials\. It cannot be assigned to the requested type Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Administration.ObjectModel.Adorners.PageContentAdorner
[4968] 140915.141940.6199: PluginManager: Unable to obtain plugin type information for type Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Identity.UI.AddinPage, UserUIAddin
[4968] 140915.141940.6199: PluginManager: Invalid plugin file: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\Addins\Users\users.addin
[4968] 140915.141940.6668: PluginManager: Unable to retrieve digital certificate for C:\Windows\system32\Essentials\OIMAddin.dll: Cannot find the requested object.

September 23rd, 2014 6:08pm

Hi Robert

other log info. from dashboard log, still no resolution.

An exception of type 'Type: System.IO.IOException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' has occurred.
Timestamp: 09/24/2014 21:18:29
Stack:    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.GetValueKind(String name)
    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.DeploymentCommon.GetBooleanDeploymentData(String name, Boolean defaultValue)

September 25th, 2014 3:02pm

Have you done anything like disable, then re-enable the integration?
September 26th, 2014 9:24am

Yep twice. no change.

I will give up for a while. Can't find anything that is the for sure the problem and everything else is working. I will manage the groups online for now.

thanks for trying.

September 26th, 2014 3:13pm

On the office 365 tab, everything is reporting as normal?
September 29th, 2014 8:52am

Office 365 tab is all good in the dashboard. Also, I can see the distribution groups in the dashboard and interact with them... sort of. There are no group members listed (from office 365) and I have none local users showing to add to the group. My office 365 account has a large number of contacts associated with the groups, maybe that has something to do with it, but that should not effect the local users?

thanks again

Gord

September 29th, 2014 8:31pm

Can you upload the following logs from  the directory "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs" 

SharedServicesHost-EmailProviderServiceConfig.*

ConfigWizard

OIMGettingStartedWizard

There should be some information in  these log files. 

If  you can compress the entire logs folder and share the same, it will be helpful to determine where the issue is. 

September 29th, 2014 8:59pm

Hello Mohammed

how would I attach a compressed folder to a response?

• Edited by Gord.s Monday, September 29, 2014 9:43 PM private info
September 29th, 2014 9:42pm

Here I would like to ask how are we creating distribution group.

The distribution groups you mentioned,

• Are they created from "Office 365 Admin Center" or from "Exchange Admin Center" ?
  • If we create a distribution group using "Dashboard" does it reflect in Office 365 Portal

You can upload the logs to OneDrive and share the link

September 30th, 2014 11:28pm

Hello Mohammed

If a create a user by importing an existing user from Office 365, all is well. Of course the user did not exist in the local AD until imported.

If I create a group in the dashboard it also shows online, but I have no users showing to add to the group, just the exisiting groups.

If I create group online the group shows in the dashboard, but again no users show up to add to the group, just the existing groups.

somehow AD is not syncing the users added locally and linked to and existing online account.

all I can determine is it may be something with Asure not syncing...

October 1st, 2014 7:05pm

Hi,

Did you manage to get this problem resolved?  I have the exact same issue and can't find a solution anywhere.

May 9th, 2015 2:37pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics