Disk Management Issue
Originally I set up my windows server up on a partition that was 155 GB large. I need to reduce this in size but when using the 'shrink' feature in disk management it tells me I cannot go below 154.6 GB. That it is invalid. I am only using around 26 GB on the partition at the moment so I know I can go a lot smaller. The last I knew the minimum requirements for server 2008 were 15-20 GB of disk space. I have tried multiple times and have also tried using Acronis Disk Director for Servers which did not work either. Any ideas?
September 12th, 2011 6:24pm

I am wondering if this is because I have 'unmovable files' throughout the entire partition. It just let me shrink it down to 120 GB but now I can go no further.Justin Bauman
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 12th, 2011 6:46pm

You need to look at a tool like partition magik, That should help you out, I advise caution, any time you are going to change the root drive, make sure you have a good backup of your system first.:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
September 12th, 2011 7:16pm

Partition Magik? I was under the impression this had been discontinued by Symantec. Are we referring to the same software. I have downloaded and tried to use Partition Magic but is not compatible with Server 2008. Also, for reference, i mentioned above that I had used Acronis Disk Director for Servers. This should have fixed the issue but did not. It requires a rebooted lock and modify the partition. When it rebooted it stopped the server from booting and gave an error message stating that the parameters of my changes were not valid. It just hung there until I did a hard reboot.Justin Bauman
September 12th, 2011 7:34pm

Well I mentioned "Like" partition magik, there are many partitioning tools on the market. Here is a good starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disk_partitioning_software Acronis should work, make sure your on the latest version. It's worked just fine on server 2008 for me.:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
September 12th, 2011 9:35pm

Hi, Please try to perform a disk defragment before you shrink the disk to see whether you can resolve the issue. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
September 13th, 2011 9:46am

I have done this already but thanks for the advice. I am thinking I may just take an Acronis image and reformat the hard drive. It will be quicker I think to fix it that way than try to figure out why it wont allow me to shrink the volume. I should have made the drive smaller to begin with but I needed to get it up and going asap. Security should always come first. Thanks!Justin Bauman
September 15th, 2011 11:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics