Disk/Volume Management in Windows Server 2008
Are there any advances to the volume management capabilities of Windows Server 2008? I think in Windows parlance the terminology may be "Disk Management". Specifically, Is there a more advanced offering then Dynamic disks? Are Dynamic disks now supported in "failover" clusters? Are Dynamic disks still around? or now just Basic disks? Motivation: it would be great if I could mirror my volumes across LUNs from different storage arrays at the host-level, like I can do with UNIX* to survive array failures and/or migrate data to new arrays online. If there is something coming, let me know. If it is still: buy veritas if you want that, then ok,let me know that too.
January 18th, 2008 10:00pm

Is there a more advanced offering then Dynamic disks? What feature are you looking for? Are Dynamic disks now supported in "failover" clusters? No, dynamic disks are not supported on failover clusters. Are Dynamic disks still around? or now just Basic disks? Yes, it is. It will provide software raid volumes. Motivation: it would be great if I could mirror my volumes across LUNs from different storage arrays at the host-level, like I can do with UNIX* to survive array failures and/or migrate data to new arrays online. This is provided through the dynamic disk support. You can create LUNs from different arrays and unmask them to the same host. Then from the host, create a mirrored volume.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 5th, 2008 7:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics