Disconnecting from VPN network hangs
Greetings,I'am using Windows Vista Ultimate (64 bit) that connects to 2003 VPN. After a good 15 minutes or so, disconnecting from the VPN is impossible - it just hangs, I see the "Disconneting from [VPN name]..." dialog and the progress bar is running, but it won't disconnect and doesn't even respond to the Cancel button or the X button.Any ideas? Eran
December 27th, 2008 2:05am

hi there,sorry for delayed response,windows architecutre is very plain and simple for a layman to understand, there is no Service under SCM hood which can cause the issues like one which you are facing.So suspecting windows service would not be a option. Typically when client / server hangs, it means there is a specific thread which is occupying most of the system resources ( in easy terms ) , / it is not release the memory after the specific operation is completed of that process --> thread. So when system hangs, we need to identify which is the process that is causing the issues.i would say as a troubleshooting steps , a) Msconfig utility to check if any of the 3rd party service is causing the issue.b) you can disable all the 3rd party service and reproduce the issue which gives u clear understanding whether or not any 3rd party service is involved in the issuec) when you have doen the above procedure and still if you are facing the issue, then we might need to take a complete memory dump during the system hang. Questions -------------we need complete event log to verify we need to know what is the hang from your issue , is that server freezes and doesnt allow you to perform any other task ? , if so how do you come out of the issue?any BSOD ?sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 1st, 2009 1:34pm

No BSOD, but you were right about the 3rd party service - I've Symantec SEP MR2 MP1 (11.0.2010.25) that's probably the cause, as stated here: http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/e1737b207987859d882574b3005e5172?OpenDocument.I'll investigate further to check which SEP version won't cause this problem (currently checking MR4).Eran
January 2nd, 2009 8:22am

Hi Eran,Very good , hope you will resolve the issue more quicker :) .sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 2nd, 2009 8:46am

I think this was it, the Symantec SEP MR2 was the problem - I installed SEP MR4 and the VPN disconnection issue didn't came back.Eran
January 5th, 2009 11:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics