Disconnected Shared Drives
I seem to have a combination of 2 problems. To start with, everyone in our company shows their "T" drive as "Disconnected network drive". But when you click on it, it opens just fine. The T drive maps to a common network share where all the team folders are stored. I'm told this "disconnected" issue has to do with Forefront AV interrupting the drive mapping or something similar to this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932463 But we also have a user who always gets an error trying to open the T drive from her terminal server session. It only happens in TS and the error is "Initializing the root folders to display". It hangs up Excel (which is normally the program she tries to access the T drive from) and she has to end task. Microsoft recommends removing all disconnected drives to get rid of the this problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932463 But the drive she wants to access is T, which is ALWAYS disconnected for everyone. Removing it defeats the point as that's where her files are stored. Anyone seen this before?
May 17th, 2010 6:46pm

This article should sort it. Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684 Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 17th, 2010 7:21pm

Adding to Dave's article. Try this KB Article that explains what to do a little better, its based on the MS KB who's solution is poorly written...IMHO. http://networkadminkb.com/kb/Knowledge%20Base/Windows2003/Mapped%20drive%20connection%20to%20Network%20Share%20may%20become%20Disconnected.aspx
May 17th, 2010 7:36pm

Actually the file server is Server 08. Those articles don't apply, do they? The terminal servers are 2003 but the KB says the problem is the timeout period on "the shared network computer" - the 08 box, right?
May 17th, 2010 8:49pm

As far as I know the autodisconnect feature would still apply to server 2008. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
May 17th, 2010 8:55pm

So you're saying that everyone in the world has this same problem unless they implement this "fix"? Also it seems strange that my personal network share (my P drive), doesn't have the same issue - it always shows a normal network drive icon. And the servers are configured the same... Something ain't adding up here.
May 17th, 2010 9:28pm

This is just a guess, as it fits your symptoms, there's no guarantee it will even work. However, if this fixes your issue, lets just chaulked up to be a combination of your AV package and what every else you like. This is such a small change, try it and see if it fixes your issue. If not then you can look somewhere else. The alternative would be to disable AV on the server and/or on some workstations and see if that fixes the issue for those few people (the workstation AV caused the issue) or everyone (AV on the server causes the issue).
May 17th, 2010 11:36pm

The 15 minute timeout is standard issue. Probably conserves a small amount of bandwidth. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
May 18th, 2010 1:58am

Hi Keith, Have you upgraded operation system to the latest patch? Then, disable power management on the NIC card via device manager. If this is enabled, Windows tends to disable the device after a certain period of inactivity. Also, turn off the sleep mode and turn on hard drive always on mode on the computer.
May 19th, 2010 10:40am

The problem is that these are very sensitive terminal servers running critical apps and we can't just go changing things at a moment's notice. I'm still investigating and I'll let you know if I find a solution. Thanks guys.
May 20th, 2010 10:42pm

Hi Keith, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Thanks
May 24th, 2010 3:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics