Disabling USB Flash Drives with GPO is not working. Server 2003 domain and XP workstations.

Hello,

I am trying to implement a GPO that will disable users from being able to plug in USB flash drives into designated workstations. I have looked at a majority of the other popular articles to no avail.

I have created a test environment. I have created an OU that has blocked inheritance. Inside that OU there is a folder labeled Computer and one labeled User. I created a new user account and dropped it into the User folder and I migrated a test machine into the Computer folder. I then linked both the Computer and User to the test GPO and enabled.

The GPO itself has everything configured under Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > File System to deny full access to usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF for the SYSTEM and COMPUTER NAME\USER accounts. As far as I can tell this works fine...

The real problem is with the registry value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR\Start. The GPO is set under User Configuration > Preferences > Windows Settings > Registry with the following entry:

Action: Replace

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Key Path: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR

Value name: Start

Value type: REG_DWORD

Value data: 4

Base: Hexadecimal

When I log into the test PC with the test user account I can go into the registry and see that the value is still set for 3!

I have tried to change the Action: Replace to Action: Update. I have also tried to implement the .adm file listed here: Support page for:

HOWTO: Use Group Policy to disable USB, CD-ROM, Floppy Disk and LS-120 drivers

This did not work either.

I am able to manually change the value to a 4 and then it properly disables the ability to use a flash drive.

It seems to be an issue with permissions or something. Any ideas?

July 11th, 2013 9:47pm

Hi,

Please try running a Group Policy Results report on the computer that is having issues using GPMC...

Post the result to here.

Thanks.

Regards.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 12th, 2013 10:48pm

Hello

In order to restrict access to USB flash drives for windows XP clients not only you have to apply the appropriate group policy but also you have to modify permissions of two system files which are related to accessing USB flash drives. They are usbstor.sys and usbstor.inf.

For more information check the link below:

Regards.

July 13th, 2013 1:34am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics