Disabling Recursive Lookup, and its effect on Conditional Forwarders.

Hello,

We have a situation where Domain Controller A is setup with conditional forwarders for "Domain.XXX" to send them to Domain Controller B or Domain Controller C for resolution.

Looking at the DNS logs we see Domain Controller A is receiving requests for "Domain.XXX" and sending them on Domain Controller B or Domain Controller C. The requests are in log as flagged as "Recursion Desired".

If we disable Recursion on Domain Controller B and C, will those DNS requests still be resolved?

Will Domain Controller B and C do recursive lookups if they are being recieved from another domain controller instead of a client?

I should add that "Domain.XXX" is a domain we own, so Domain Controller B and C (should) always have the needed records.

I'd appreciate any insight you can provide. We cannot test this on our current network without potentially cutting off service for folks, so I'm trying to confirm.

March 27th, 2015 4:37pm

Conditional forwarders will work even when recursion is disabled.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 30th, 2015 1:53am

The queries sent from DC A to DC B and C are iterative queries .So ,the queries will be still be resolved if recursion disabled on DC B and C .

March 30th, 2015 2:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics