Disabling Gfx card shared memory?
Running 2008 x64 RTM - On my dev server, which is essentially high-end desktop hardware, I bought pretty much the cheapest Gfx card I could find - I ended up with a GeForce 7300 from Gigabyte (same as motherboard mfg). It has 128MB onboard, but is reporting 2031MB of Shared System Memory (system has 8GB total). From what I've been able to find on the Vista forums, apparently the OS now controls this, and I'm wondering if there is a way to get 2008 to disable this. For Vista machines, it appears that this memory isnt actually reserved strictly for the graphics adapter, and other apps can use it, but I would still like to get that out of the picture.
March 13th, 2008 8:36pm

Sounds like it might be vendor specific within the graphics driver? - Doug
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 14th, 2008 1:34am

Hello, As far as I know, this setting should be saved in the BIOS configuration. Therefore, please check the hardware manual or call hardware manufacturer for further assistance. Best regards, Chang Yin Microsoft Online Community Support
March 18th, 2008 4:03pm

I am confused why so many people have this same question but everyone always goes back to the BIOS as the solution. This is related to Windows 7/vista and how it handles memory and not the BIOS. I have the onboard video disabled and with a PCIe video card there is no AGP aperature. This was not an issue with XP and first appeared in Vista and now Windows 7. I have also seen many answers about it being windows 7 not seeing the memory because it is 32bit but the 32bit version see 4gb RAM (except started of course). Most of the questions I have seen for this appear to always use roughly 1/4 of the system ram and set it aside for video. For my system I have an Nvidia gtx460 with 1gb video ram and 4gb system ran but windows says only 3gb is available and immediately starts using a large portion of virtual memory. With a 4gb system I have 6mb free ram and a 4gb swap file. I have not had a game yet that uses 2gb of video RAM even in the highest resolution, shadows and all other special effects on. Does someone have an answer on how to turn off or at least limit shared memory in Vist/7 that does not erroneously point everyone back to the BIOS or drivers??
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2011 12:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics