Disabled Account generates Account lockout events 4740

I have disabled and renamed my guest in account in Active Directory.  I am seeing account lockouts for this renamed guest account throughout the day even after renaming.  I have validated I don't have someone trying to hack/bang away at this account. When I look at the source logs it seems that I get this whenever group policy periodically refreshes.  Has anyone ever seen this or any thoughts why this is happening.

Thanks,
Matt

November 22nd, 2010 7:35pm

You should be able to determine the root cause by following http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverManagement/thread/e6134dab-acb7-4c6d-a21e-6bb07357c221

hth
Marcin

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 22nd, 2010 7:40pm

I have used eventcomb, I actually have a script that alerts on all event 4740 so I know the source but it changes every time.  As I said there seems to be more a correlation with when the Group Policy refreshes for a server and then an alert is generated
November 22nd, 2010 7:42pm

Check the Group Policy settings applicable to servers in question...

hth
Marcin

November 22nd, 2010 7:45pm

I take it you have never seen the behavior I am discussing?  I have checked the group policies of the servers that correlate but still nothing as it is all servers as the source varies throughout the day and even shows up on workstations as well. 
November 22nd, 2010 7:49pm

I see the same issue with an account that is disabled still getting locked out.  I even changed the userid and it continues to generate account lockout events.

What can cause this?

April 9th, 2015 1:53am

Hi,

Please follow this steps which will help you resolved the issue.

1.       Using ADSIEDIT changed the value of UserAccountControl attribute of the Guest account to 66082(numerical) i.e. 0x10222(in hex) and disabled it which is the sum of the following attributes:

a.       ACCOUNTDISABLE; PASSWD_NOTREQD; NORMAL_ACCOUNT; DONT_EXPIRE_PASSWORD

b.      Its current value was 0x10202 aka 66050 in dec (I believe this implies ACCOUNTDISABLE | NORMAL_ACCOUNT | DONT_EXPIRE_PASSWD)

2.       Then for the account (in ADUC) do the following:

a.       Unchecked the "user cannot change password" -> OK

b.      Right-clicked on the Guest account and selected reset password and kept it blank and clicked OK

i.      This step is to set a NULL password for the GUEST account and keep it disabled

c.       Right-clicked on the guest account and checked the "user cannot change password" again

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/305144?wa=wsignin1.0

Same case is resolved in past.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/df9255bf-f28d-4acf-b6c1-25ce041cc416/domainguest-account-being-locked-out-via-nondomain-joined-workstations?forum=winserverDS

April 9th, 2015 11:28am

Hi,

Please follow this steps which will help you resolved the issue.

1.       Using ADSIEDIT changed the value of UserAccountControl attribute of the Guest account to 66082(numerical) i.e. 0x10222(in hex) and disabled it which is the sum of the following attributes:

a.       ACCOUNTDISABLE; PASSWD_NOTREQD; NORMAL_ACCOUNT; DONT_EXPIRE_PASSWORD

b.      Its current value was 0x10202 aka 66050 in dec (I believe this implies ACCOUNTDISABLE | NORMAL_ACCOUNT | DONT_EXPIRE_PASSWD)

2.       Then for the account (in ADUC) do the following:

a.       Unchecked the "user cannot change password" -> OK

b.      Right-clicked on the Guest account and selected reset password and kept it blank and clicked OK

i.      This step is to set a NULL password for the GUEST account and keep it disabled

c.       Right-clicked on the guest account and checked the "user cannot change password" again

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/305144?wa=wsignin1.0

Same case is resolved in past.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/df9255bf-f28d-4acf-b6c1-25ce041cc416/domainguest-account-being-locked-out-via-nondomain-joined-workstations?forum=winserverDS

We are having the same issue of an account being repeatedly locked out despite being disabled, but our issue with the built-in domain administrator account.  What would we do differently with that account vs the guest account?  

I changed the login name for the Administrator account so that it should no longer match whatever is triggering the problem, but it still doesn't prevent it from triggering the 4740 events every few hours.

April 9th, 2015 1:14pm

Hi,

For your issue kindly check the GPO for that also if possible open the separate question for this issue. 

April 9th, 2015 1:27pm

Hi,

Any updates on issue?

April 10th, 2015 7:20am

The issue seems to have gone away for us a day after changing the spelling of the user name.
April 10th, 2015 4:56pm

ok good to hear that.
April 11th, 2015 12:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics