Disable Windows 2008 System Volume Information
I would like to know how to disable this feature in Widows server 2008.
April 5th, 2010 10:19pm

Have you tried; Open my computer, click Organize tab, folder and search Options, view and check/uncheck as neededIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 5th, 2010 11:10pm

Have you tried; Open my computer, click Organize tab, folder and search Options, view and check/uncheck as needed Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE This does not work..Anyother suggestions!
April 6th, 2010 7:13am

Hi, What’s the size of your System Volume Information folder? If it is 0 bytes and you prefer not to seeing it, try steps below: 1. Open Windows Explorer, click Organize, click Folder and Search Options. 2. On the View tab, check the box before “Hide protected operating system files (recommended)” and click OK. Now the System Volume Information folder should not appear. Tim Quan - MSFT
April 6th, 2010 8:28am

Hi, What’s the size of your System Volume Information folder? If it is 0 bytes and you prefer not to seeing it, try steps below: 1. Open Windows Explorer, click Organize, click Folder and Search Options. 2. On the View tab, check the box before “Hide protected operating system files (recommended)” and click OK. Now the System Volume Information folder should not appear. Tim Quan - MSFT Hiding the folder does not help me as my application is always trying to access that folder and does not have permissions to access the folder.When i delete the folder it appears back after a reboot and creates my app to fail.I re-acl'd the the folder to provide permisisons to my app and after i a reboot i loose those permissions.My only option now is to disable the system restore feature(if it exists) or thru registry in Windows 2008 so the System Volume Information folder does not get created.
April 6th, 2010 6:09pm

Hi, I am afraid that we cannot really get rid of the System Volume Information folder. Why does you application need to access this folder? I hope this article could help: How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3bEN-US%3bq309531 Tim Quan - MSFT
April 7th, 2010 5:36am

Hi, I am afraid that we cannot really get rid of the System Volume Information folder. Why does you application need to access this folder? I hope this article could help: How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3bEN-US%3bq309531 Tim Quan - MSFT The Application tries process all the files within a certain directory or subdirectory and it fails to access the SVI folder coz of the ACL's.If I ACl the SVI folder and everything is fine until i reboot the server and everything gets ACl'd to default.
April 8th, 2010 6:44am

Stopping the TRKWKS service on windows 2008 server will prevent it from creating the System Volume Information folder on Windows 2008 and Windows 2003
April 14th, 2010 9:29pm

I am not able to find a TRKWKS service. Is it called another name?
June 23rd, 2011 1:16pm

I am not able to find a TRKWKS service. Is it called another name? “Distributed Link Tracking Client service "
July 18th, 2011 6:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics