Disable DNS Registration on NIC w/ Multiple IPs
I would like to be able to completely disable DNS registration on a W2K8 R2 server with multiple IPs on the Same NIC. The server is in the domain and I've marked the checkbox to not register, however it continues to do it. This is causing an issue in the domain because the different IP's are registering with the same name and confusing websites that are hosted on the box. I've found a "Registry Fix" that was supposed to correct this but it hasn't. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
March 16th, 2011 1:32pm

Yes I have tried that Registry Fix and it doesn't seem to be working. I forgot to mention I'm on an HP server with Teamed NICS.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 17th, 2011 8:32am

So, as usual, there is no working answer, but moderators mark anything like an answer.. I suppose that cmd command does the same what GUI does, unchecks the "Register this connection’s addresses in DNS” checkbox in the LAN connection Advanced settings (DNS tab)? Then this is not helping. Those IP addresses still reappear (i have deleted them manually in DNS after unchecking this checkbox) in my DNS after some period of time.
October 26th, 2011 9:51am

I'm having the same problem. Unfortunately, I have a domain controller that is multi-homed and this is causing a problem for me. I'm forced to have a multi-homed DC due to the topology of the network the domain is in and I can't change it. I've tried several different registry fixes including the ones outlined here. I also tried the netsh command listed above, no luck. My network adapters are also teamed, although I'm using SuperMicro machines. On machines that do not have teamed network adapters the registry patch seems to work. Not sure if this is an issue with teamed adapters, but this is my only DC with teamed adapters and the only one that the registry patch doesn't seem to fix.
November 15th, 2011 5:43pm

Don't know what exactly do you mean by "teamed", but we also have 2 lan cards on that server and those cards are usied to create virtual switches for the Hyper-V. And i deselect DNS registering option on the connections which have IPs which i don't need in my DNS. I haven't tried registry fix, though it seems dangerous to me. To many high risk systems on that system to blow everything up.
November 15th, 2011 11:36pm

Try this from the command prompt: reg add hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip\parameters /v DisableDynamicUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
July 13th, 2012 11:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics